[SOLVED] Need help with build

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspropst

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hi all,

Need to make sure all this stuff works together and that anything I'm doing I might want to reconsider. Planning on running 3 monitor set up with dual (maybe later triple) GTX 570s and taking a few things from my older desktops. Currently selling more electronics I have laying around, up to about $1350 for my budget, I know I'll be having another $240 coming in as well as another $300-400 for my Dell laptop. Got other things I no longer use I'm selling, including several monitors, etc. Want to get started though so I'll be ordering some of the stuff now that'll work together. Since the dual video cards will total approximately $700, and the processor comes with the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 (currently better than the laptop I'm on).. I might as well get started and use those as the video card temporarily.

Things taking from old desktops:

3 Monitors - have 3 Dell Monitors, two matching 20", one almost the same 20" I'll put in the middle
DVD/CD ROM - I stream HD movies and play HD games, have never rented/burned/bought a Blu-Ray/HD movie, might as well not spend money on that (at least for now)
Wireless keyboard
Wireless mouse
5 Speaker System (one mounts under the odd one out monitor)
Wireless card/antenna - plan on wiring, it's several years newer than the computer so it's not outdated, just like to have wireless in case whatever crazy situation comes up that I don't plan for
300 GB 5400 RPM Hard drive (plan on getting something better, read below)

Buying now:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold 1200W
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
nMEDIAPC ZE-C268 Black Panel 3.5" All-in-one USB Card Reader with USB 3.0 Port
2 Extra 120 mm fans to go along with the other 5 120 mm fans and the 1 200 mm fan

The one big thing after you confirm all the above will work together is...

I've got the 300 GB hard drive, 5400 RPM. I can use that until I get the rest of the funds and buy the Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA III SSD to run my OS and online games off of, then convert the 300 to a storage drive. Then around Christmas time pick up two Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA II Intellipower 64 MB Cache and have the two drives be copies of one another.

OR

Just buy the first WD right now since I have the funds and slap Windows 7 on it. Thoughts?

first off, even for dual 570s, you don't need something as ridiculous as a 1200W PSU.

For a single 570, a 620W will do. 750W to 850W for SLI 570s.

Go for an I5-2500K. use the $100 savings for Windows. In games there is a 3-5fps difference at best between a 2600K and 2500K.

That 300 GB 5400 RPM drive is almost certaibly an IDE, and will not in any way be compatable with the new PC. stick it in an ide-based external case, and go ahead and get the 1 TB drive and your SSD.

You don't need the expensive Asus Maximus IV mobo. Its $360! People have whole computers worth that!

An MSI Z68MA-G45 will do dual 570s just fine at $120. The difference will buy your SSD!

mspropst

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I plan on overclocking the heck out of this (5.0+ Ghz), running 2-3 570s and I've been told by most reviews/sources on it that it needs 850-900 for two cards, +200 for another. Then it looses juice over time so 1200W will. Not to mention I may add water cooling pumps later, and I've got 7 120 mm fans, 1 200 mm fan, maybe a CPU fan added on later, aside from the 3 video cards and their 3 fans with all the glowing LEDs.

The bottleneck on video cards come from the processors and the 2600k is in top 10 in performance and a drastically low price in comparison. Might as well not short change myself since I wish I could get a 990X except it costs $1000. $315 and close to the same performance is within my price range.

On that note, the Asus would not work for another reason anyway, since it's the wrong form. Guess I got confused about it and a couple others. Went back to newegg and looked for one that has the things I'm looking for, HDMI, a couple USB 3.0 ports, Z68, and 2x PCI 3.0 to help out those video cards. Needless to say, 4 results came up, two being MSI one being ASRock. Can run 5.35GHz overclocked and stable with the processor I'm using... MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. Thanks ScrewySqrl. Saved me $120 which like you said, should pay for the Western Digital.

I get Windows for free from a business license.

The 300 GB is an IDE, didn't realize that. Gonna get a WD however this works out so I guess I'll buy that now. It's 2 TB by the way =P.

mspropst

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
One more question for those reading, I'ver got 7 120 mm fans and a 200 mm top fan. Do I need to rush out and buy a heatsink and artic 5 asap, or get away without it for a while... or forever? Just curious if that stuff would be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.