Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 560 Ti bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 19, 2011 8:33:33 AM

Hey guys

I underclocked my Phenom II x4 955 BE CPU to 3.8 ghz from 4.0 ghz. The reason why I did that is because I am not getting any notable difference in FPS except 2 to 3 fps (hardly) compared to 3.8 ghz and also the windows experience index shows the score as 7.5 itself for both 3.8 and 4.0 ghz.

So in order to be on a safer side, I underclocked my cpu to 3.8 ghz so that the temps stay better. at 4.0 ghz the voltage set was 1.40 and now I have set it to 1.3375.

So temps don't cross 48 degrees at full load Prime95 for 2 hours.

Is it ok to leave the CPU at 3.8 ghz because I dont see my CPU bottlenecking a single GTX 560 Ti. I will probably overclock it further to 4.0 ghz when I get another 560 TI for SLI.

Is it ok to leave the CPU at 3.8. What do you suggest. Will it still bottleneck the GTX 560 Ti

More about : gtx 560 bottleneck

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2011 8:37:57 AM

Have you tried running the CPU @ standard clocks?
June 19, 2011 8:44:52 AM

Yes, I have tried. I can max out each and every game at 1080p with no overclock.

why are you asking that.

I didn't seem to notice any performance increase but I could be wrong you now. considering that even without an overclock it is able to max out each and every game.
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2011 9:25:42 AM

irfan88 said:
Yes, I have tried. I can max out each and every game at 1080p with no overclock.

why are you asking that.

I didn't seem to notice any performance increase but I could be wrong you now. considering that even without an overclock it is able to max out each and every game.

If you can max out at standard settings then why not just leave it at that until you actually need the extra firepower?
June 19, 2011 4:25:52 PM

I know that I can max out any game with a GTX 560 Ti and a phenom II x4 955 be stock cpu at 1080p.

but what I really want to know is, will the phenom II x4 955 stock cpu bottleneck a GTX 560 Ti compared to the intel cpus.

and after overclocking it to 3.8, will it still bottleneck.

so basically I want to know both about stock and overclocked (bottleneck)

just curious to know about it. Please help me out with this.

I was actually planning to sli another 560 next year. So I wanted to know if my existing cpu bottlenecks at stock and even after it is overclocked.
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2011 12:05:50 AM

I have a 955BE and SLi'd gtx 560 ti twin froz OC II at factory settings. I run games fine.. The only reason i would want to overclock is for the frostbite 2 engine.. if i can ever figure it out! If you keep your cpu at 3.8 that shouldnt bottleneck a single 560.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2011 1:16:00 AM

Most games still show some CPU scaling at even 1080P, however, it is not as drastic as at 1280x1024, and, at the other end of the scale, about non-existent at gpu-limited resolutions of 2560x1600.

Might not be a popular opinion, but, the X4 series of CPUs does not scale very well at games; with increased core clock speeds compared to i5 or i7, the X4 gives slightly less than half the increased FPS per added 100 Mhz core clock as compared to an Intel rig at 16x10 res.

FYI, the "Windows Experience Index" is just short of useless as any sort of cpu/gpu performance benchmark.
June 26, 2011 4:26:10 AM

So you are telling me that my overclocked phenom II x4 will bottleneck a 560 Ti no matter sli or no sli????? is that right.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2011 10:12:23 AM

irfan88 said:
So you are telling me that my overclocked phenom II x4 will bottleneck a 560 Ti no matter sli or no sli????? is that right.

You'll be fine with a single 560 Ti and if you ever run two just turn up all the eye candy.
June 26, 2011 12:08:38 PM

Hey thanks.

and one last and final question "mousemonkey". Many people told me that my PSU Cooler Master GX 750W is not capable of running my system with an overclocked phenom II x4 955 at 3.8ghz and GTX 560 Ti in SLI mode. is that true. I know that my PSU is not that good but I also think that its not that bad either. What do you think. Here's the link for it:


http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3 [...] ndex2.html

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2011 12:13:46 PM

irfan88 said:
Hey thanks.

and one last and final question "mousemonkey". Many people told me that my PSU Cooler Master GX 750W is not capable of running my system with an overclocked phenom II x4 955 at 3.8ghz and GTX 560 Ti in SLI mode. is that true. I know that my PSU is not that good but I also think that its not that bad either. What do you think. Here's the link for it:


http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3 [...] ndex2.html

That's a link to a motherboard review, I'm running a pair of OC'd GTX560 Ti's and an i7 2600K on a Corsair 620HX so you might be OK I reckon.

Best solution

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2011 2:04:16 PM
Share

I'd say that you are more than OK with that PSU running a pair of GTX560's and an OC CPU.
June 26, 2011 2:11:27 PM

thanks mouse. You've solved my problem. :bounce: 

I should stop listening to others now and be worry free. I also know that I cannot go higher (SLI or crossfire) than a GTX 560Ti or 6950 setup because 570's and 6970's in SLI and crossfire will require much more power than this.

Considering that nvidia is releasing their upcoming cards based on 28nm or 22nm die. Do you think that the power consumption of those cards would be lower than the current generation cards or what? Just curious to know about it
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2011 2:34:16 PM

irfan88 said:
thanks mouse. You've solved my problem. :bounce: 

I should stop listening to others now and be worry free. I also know that I cannot go higher (SLI or crossfire) than a GTX 560Ti or 6950 setup because 570's and 6970's in SLI and crossfire will require much more power than this.

Considering that nvidia is releasing their upcoming cards based on 28nm or 22nm die. Do you think that the power consumption of those cards would be lower than the current generation cards or what? Just curious to know about it

Well the current crop of cards are 40nm and yet seem to be using more power respectively than the cards I feel that they are replacing.
June 26, 2011 7:27:19 PM

yeah, you're right. but when you check the AMD cards, their cards power consumption's are lower than their their previous gen cards (excluding dual gpu cards).
June 30, 2011 1:09:09 AM

Best answer selected by irfan88.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2011 5:19:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!