Can I use ATI HD 5670 to output audio to speaker?

arnob216

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
As my ATI HD 5670 has HDMI output about which I do not know at all. Now as the website says it has 7.1 channel audio outputting capability, is there any way I can use this graphic card to output sound to a speaker?

I will need a cable which will enter the port on the graphic card and on the other end of the cable there will be a input space for 3.5mm jack of speakers or headphones.

Is this thing possible?

Solution

I think this is designed to plug into a HDMI port on a 7.1 compatible AV receiver. I'm pretty sure you cannot go directly to speakers via HDMI, the signal needs to be processed/decoded in between to output into speakers

footfiremystic

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

I think this is designed to plug into a HDMI port on a 7.1 compatible AV receiver. I'm pretty sure you cannot go directly to speakers via HDMI, the signal needs to be processed/decoded in between to output into speakers

Solution

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Right. The sound thru HDMI is encoded and is in digital form. It should be decoded first and converted to analog before it is output to the speakers. An AV receiver/amplifier with HDMI input is needed or a speaker set with HDMI input is required, if there is such a speaker set available.