Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade My PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 22, 2011 12:04:28 AM

I would like to upgrade my pc.It's a GT5464 and it has 1GB ram and a Pentium dual core E2140 processor.I have 2 potential upgrades in mind but I can only upgrade one of the components for now.The first potential upgrade is $53.85 Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) ram (link below)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

The second potential upgrade is an Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6 GHz per core $103.05 (link below)

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Core-Processor-800MHz-...

I'd like to know which of these would improve my computers performance more.Usually I use Maya, After Effects, Sony Vegas,Xilisoft Video Converter,and I play some games like Combat Arms,COD Black Ops,COD MW2, and I plan to get COD MW3.
I'd like to know which of the 2 upgrades would benefit me most for what i usually use my pc for.

More about : upgrade

August 22, 2011 12:37:45 AM

Your computer uses DDR2 so YES the smartest upgrade is to add more RAM .

The limitation will be the Windows Operating system you have . Almost certainly its a 32 bit version so that limits the maximum amount of RAM windows can see to slightly more than 3 gig . You can install 2 x2 gig , but you might as well just add 2 gig to what you already have since that should max out your potential RAM .

YOur motherboard should be
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006181R/4...
and assuming it only has one stick of RAM , then buy a single two gig stick of DDR 2 667 Mhz and put it in the second slot .

Upgrading the processor is probably not good bang for buck at this point . $104 for what is now a very old cpu just doesnt seem like a good plan .
But there is an alternative . Maybe .
The e2140 is capable of running at much higher speeds . Typically they can read speeds of 3 GHz fairly easily
Read the overclocking forum and see how you overclock socket 775 cpu's .

If this sounds like something you feel comfortable trying then You probably should buy 2 x2 gig of DDR2 800MHz RAM [ or even faster ] because that will simplify overclocking the processor using the FSB .
Keep an eye on temperatures
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 1:04:44 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Your computer uses DDR2 so YES the smartest upgrade is to add more RAM .

The limitation will be the Windows Operating system you have . Almost certainly its a 32 bit version so that limits the maximum amount of RAM windows can see to slightly more than 3 gig . You can install 2 x2 gig , but you might as well just add 2 gig to what you already have since that should max out your potential RAM .

YOur motherboard should be
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006181R/4...
and assuming it only has one stick of RAM , then buy a single two gig stick of DDR 2 667 Mhz and put it in the second slot .

Upgrading the processor is probably not good bang for buck at this point . $104 for what is now a very old cpu just doesnt seem like a good plan .
But there is an alternative . Maybe .
The e2140 is capable of running at much higher speeds . Typically they can read speeds of 3 GHz fairly easily
Read the overclocking forum and see how you overclock socket 775 cpu's .

If this sounds like something you feel comfortable trying then You probably should buy 2 x2 gig of DDR2 800MHz RAM [ or even faster ] because that will simplify overclocking the processor using the FSB .
Keep an eye on temperatures


I've already considered overclocking but you need a very stable mobo,and its great if it can also handle higher fsb,mine cant, mine is'nt that stable nor can it handle high fsb 800mhz fsb is as much as it will handle ,and if I overclock it will become even more unstable then it currently is.as for the 800mhz ram ,I cant, 667 mhz ram is the highest frequency that is compatible with my mobo
m
0
l
Related resources
August 22, 2011 1:47:12 AM

in that case, I'd buy the single stick of RAM, but start saving up for a new PC.

$350 can get you a triple-core Athlon II, ready to put in a bulldozer later, with a simple video card

$500 can get you a solid gamer with an Athlon II x4/Phenom II X4/intel i3-2100 with video cards ranging from 550 and HD 6770 to HD6870 and GTX 560

$600 gets you a i5-2400 build with a 6870 or base 560
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 2:02:04 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
in that case, I'd buy the single stick of RAM, but start saving up for a new PC.

$350 can get you a triple-core Athlon II, ready to put in a bulldozer later, with a simple video card

$500 can get you a solid gamer with an Athlon II x4/Phenom II X4/intel i3-2100 with video cards ranging from 550 and HD 6770 to HD6870 and GTX 560

$600 gets you a i5-2400 build with a 6870 or base 560

don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be rude but,I'm 15 i have no job the only reason I have $125 is from my B-day last year,So saving wouldn't do anything, so at this point in my life I don't plan to get a new computer for another 3+ years.although if I did have a solid source of income that would probably be a great plan.
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 2:02:41 AM

I just had a quick look at the support documents to check on potential FSB speeds and ratios and you are probably right OCing wont help

But neither will a 2 gig stick of RAM

The maximum supported memory is 2 gig . ie 1 gig in each of the two slots
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006181R/4...

adding a one gig stick is your maximum RAM upgrade [ assuming it doesnt have two 500MB sticks already ]

m
0
l
August 22, 2011 2:11:43 AM

Outlander_04 said:
I just had a quick look at the support documents to check on potential FSB speeds and ratios and you are probably right OCing wont help

But neither will a 2 gig stick of RAM

The maximum supported memory is 2 gig . ie 1 gig in each of the two slots
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006181R/4...

adding a one gig stick is your maximum RAM upgrade [ assuming it doesnt have two 500MB sticks already ]


actually that's not true the support pages are out dated and poorly detailed,they were.I downloaded the full pdf version of the support docs and it said. "Memory configurations listed below:
• Up to 2.0 GB utilizing 512 Mb and 1 Gb technology"

therefore utilizing 2gb tech i can get 4gb ram
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 4:47:48 AM

mvitkun said:
actually that's not true the support pages are out dated and poorly detailed,they were.I downloaded the full pdf version of the support docs and it said. "Memory configurations listed below:
• Up to 2.0 GB utilizing 512 Mb and 1 Gb technology"

therefore utilizing 2gb tech i can get 4gb ram



When I read that I take it to mean you can use 512Mb or 1 gig sticks of RAM

and the total is 2 gig
[ ie 1 gig in each of the two available slots ]
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 5:50:48 AM

If your only choices are between extra RAM or a new CPU, I would go with the CPU. The benchmarks for your listed chips will effectively increase your processing power by almost 100%. The benefit of adding RAM is that you can run more things at once (as well as increased speed/responsiveness), but doubling your RAM is not going to double your system speed, like you will if you upgrade your chip.
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 6:25:38 AM

mahdhatre said:
If your only choices are between extra RAM or a new CPU, I would go with the CPU. The benchmarks for your listed chips will effectively increase your processing power by almost 100%. The benefit of adding RAM is that you can run more things at once (as well as increased speed/responsiveness), but doubling your RAM is not going to double your system speed, like you will if you upgrade your chip.


doubling processor speed will not double your system speed either .

And since your strategy forces the system to access the swap file almost continuously it probably wont speed up the system at all . The processor will spend more time waiting for data . Thats all .
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 4:37:17 PM

Outlander_04 said:
When I read that I take it to mean you can use 512Mb or 1 gig sticks of RAM

and the total is 2 gig
[ ie 1 gig in each of the two available slots ]

no because at that time they didn't have 2gb sticks of ram yet and I'm guessing that since that technology was created they haven't updated the pc information page.I've already discussed this with several pc experts and I am able to increase it to 4gb of ram.When they said utilizing 512 mg tech it means using two 512 mb sticks of ram you can get 1gb ,utilizing 1gb sticks of ram you can achieve 2gb of ram.And now since there is new technology available like 2gb sticks of ram by utilizing 2x2gb sticks of ram I can get 4gb of ram.
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 8:46:32 PM

or its possible your bios won't recognize 2gb sticks at all
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 11:36:18 PM

mvitkun said:
no because at that time they didn't have 2gb sticks of ram yet and I'm guessing that since that technology was created they haven't updated the pc information page.I've already discussed this with several pc experts and I am able to increase it to 4gb of ram.When they said utilizing 512 mg tech it means using two 512 mb sticks of ram you can get 1gb ,utilizing 1gb sticks of ram you can achieve 2gb of ram.And now since there is new technology available like 2gb sticks of ram by utilizing 2x2gb sticks of ram I can get 4gb of ram.



It probably means the system cant even recognize a single 2 gig stick .
m
0
l
August 23, 2011 4:58:16 AM

Maybe it won't "double" the speed, but I still think he will gain a much more noticeable boost by upgrading the chip than to add just 1 gig of ram, which btw I believe 2gig is your max for that board.
m
0
l
August 30, 2011 3:38:18 AM

Outlander_04 said:
It probably means the system cant even recognize a single 2 gig stick .

I bought the 4GB of ram and it recognizes it
m
0
l
!