thinkpad, mobile celeron, win xp pro and clockrate drops!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 17, 2005 5:27:04 PM

Hello everyone!
Recently i've bought IBM ThinkPad R31: Celeron Mobile 1200mhz, 256ram.
First thing i did was bios update to newest version, then i've cleaned
hdd and installed win xp pro from scratch. Also i've downloaded drivers
from ibm website and installed them - including power management driver,
battery maximiser etc. After few minutes of work i've noticed weird
thing, clockrate dropped from 1200mhz to ... 150mhz!! What the hell?! I
use wcpuid and sisoft sandra to check clockrate and, yes, it is 150mhz.
Notebook slowed down to i386 level, and only thing left was to restart
the system. After restart, again 1200mhz... ok its nice.. but, then,
when i started to use more cpu power (compressing some files, installing
apps), notebook's fan started noisy and clockrate dropped to 150mhz. I
left computer for about 15 minutes thinkig maybe cpu temperature is too
high and it needs some "fresh air", but when i was back - still 150mhz,
and after restart .. 1200mhz. I thought that its maybe something
involving Intel SpeedStep technology, but as far as i know Mobile
Celeron has no SpeedStep! So what is going on? This happens all the
time, no matter if i'm working on AC or DC - when im starting to do
something more cpu power consuming, fan starts for a few seconds and
clockrate drops not raising until restart. As I said: its a newest bios
installed, fresh win xp pro, and all drivers from ibm website. I tried
with Power Management settings but nothing, it doesnt matter if i set
power profile to "Always On", "Laptop", "High Performance" etc. - clock
drops anyway. I cannot watch divx for more then few minutes, i cannot
review my photos under acdsee for more then a minute and so on - it
looks like when cpu is overheating it slows down, but... to 150mhz?! ..
and why its not raising after cooling, only after reset? Bios settings
are default, Intel SpeedStep section is shaded so i can't change
anything (and its ok i suppose since celeron m doesnt have speedstep -
or maybe i'm wrong..?). Please help - what is going on? Ok, maybe it
isnt top level system, but it is celeron 1200mhz not 150mhz!
TIA
indigo
August 18, 2005 3:32:29 PM

anyone?