Silly Ram question for Silly instructions ?

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I'm in the process of installing Ram into my new motherboard (Gigabyte-sniper 3) and have run into a small problem. The problem being, the manual and the motherboard are trying to mess with my head. I've lost count of how many PC's i've built, but i always refer to the manual for updated information, however, in this case, they totally contradict each other.

The manual states:

Channel A: DDR3_2, DDR3_4

Channel B: DDR3_1, DDR3_3

It also suggests (for dual channel mode) that i install a 2 module configuration into slots 1 and 2 ehhh!?!

While on the motherboard PCB it has the slots labeled, (from closest to the CPU)

DDR3_4, DDR3_2, DDR3_3, DDR3_1

If i am to give this motherboard manual any credit at all, i should install one module into socket-1 (last socket from CPU) and socket-2 (2nd socket from CPU)

But from memory (my memory) shouldn't the optimal config be to just use the Dimm socket color pairing and install into socket closest to the CPU and the other module into the same color Dimm (3rd socket from CPU ?

t53186

Distinguished
To use dual channel one dimm is in channel A the other channel B, so 1&2 gives you dual channel operation. 1&3 is two dimms in single channel. The color coding indicates the channel, so two dimms in same color slots = two dimms in one channel.
Hope my answer does not screw with your head anymore.