ozsurf10

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hi all,

This has to be the best forum for support - so thank you all for your advice.

I have nearly finished putting my new rig together and I am stumped on a PSU.

Currently I have an ANTEC 550w.

This is what I am moving to.

i7 2600k
GA-P67A-UD3R-B3 MOTHERBOARD LGA1155
16gb Ram
Evga 580 GTX ( this is causing me the most concern ! )
120gb SSD Vertex 3
3 SATA III internal ( although once data safe will be only 2 x 1 TB )
1 SATA Blu Ray Burner

I keep looking at the CORSAIR HX750 and then the price ! Would a 650 be enough ?

As a noob for rails and voltage Im not sure why some peeps have 1000w PSU's whats the benefit ?

Sorry if its a silly question !

Nick

Solution
There can be (very) small differences in efficencies between otherwise identical PSUs where one is modular and the other is not. This is apparently due to the increased resistance of a plug/socket vs a solder joint.

In the real world that comparison doesn't really exist. Soooooo, if you don't need modular, and it costs more, and there's no difference in efficiency rating, and you can put up with slightly less tidy . . . IOW, you can safely buy whatever you need, and no more.

EVGA specs says it needs 600W with 42 amps on the 12V rail. Check the specs for the version of Corsair's 650W PSU you are considering to make sure it has 42 amps on the 12V rail.

As far as a larger PSU is concerned, a lot of people by larger than necessary PSUs so they can add a GPU later. I have been using a Corsair 650TX for more than 2 years with no problems: 2 HD4870s in xfire, 6 HDDs, a DVD burner, a TV tuner and, a video card operating a security system. You do want one that is at least 80% Bronze efficiency and has active pfc - which is pretty much what most reputable PSUs have now.

Check this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4008/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580/17

and then run the 580 with your Antec. The article shows a PC with a 580 running Crysis with a 920 pulling 389W from the wall. That means it took about 350W from the psu. So a quality 550W unit is more than enough to run your rig.

You don't say which Antec you have - please let me know - but almost all are high quality, provide full rated wattage, and will work even if they need a power cable adapter.

Note: Overly large PSUs are purchased for a variety of bad reasons, and some good ones . . . like expansion. But there is NO operating benefit from using a 1000W psu when a 550W already gives you ~50% cushion vs your expected max load.

ozsurf10

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

Thanks for the responses !

Its an ANTEC NEO HE 550W

Heres a review http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-NeoPower-550-Power-Supply-Review/361/6

Could'nt find one on TH.

Tell me what you think !!

Cheers

It's an interesting psu, as you already know from reading the article. Importantly, nVidia says the 580's maximum power draw is 240W, a total of 20A. It will draw some of this power from the mobo (up to 75W), and the bulk of it through the 6-pin (75W max) and 8-pin (150W max) connectors.

So, in your psu, it would seem that 12V1 and 12V3 will provide 75W while 12V2 needs to provide a max of 165W. In reality, the load will probably be a bit more balanced than that but 12V2's 18A/216W should be plenty. Also note that these three rails are "virtual", ie, they are all really connected to the same 12V rail and that rail has plenty of 12V power.

Personally, I might not BUY this psu to power this rig (depending on my budget and expansion plans), but if I had one on hand I would not hesitate to use it until I proved I needed another.

ozsurf10

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

Thank you so much for your advice.

I think I may go and buy a sensible 650W Corsair / Antec and then use the 550 in my old system.

Thanks for the advice on not needing to spend more though !

last quick one : I have always had modular before just tidier - no difference in non modular ?

There can be (very) small differences in efficencies between otherwise identical PSUs where one is modular and the other is not. This is apparently due to the increased resistance of a plug/socket vs a solder joint.

In the real world that comparison doesn't really exist. Soooooo, if you don't need modular, and it costs more, and there's no difference in efficiency rating, and you can put up with slightly less tidy . . . IOW, you can safely buy whatever you need, and no more.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS