Sign in with
Your question

Do you need a internet provider to use wireless router

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2011 10:57:02 PM

Hello,
i have no idea about wireless anything! i just got a laptop and a new ps3. do i have to get a internet provider to get wifi? or can i just use a wireless router with a built in modem to get wifi???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
November 20, 2011 11:03:32 PM

If you have a modem with a built in router, you can use it as a wireless (wifi) router.

Wifi doesn't cost money as a service. You just need the devices that are compatible with it.

Wifi is just a different way of connecting stuff to the internet. Instead of using wires connected to the modem, there are air waves that allow the devices to communicate with each other.

From what you have said, you have everything you need to connect your laptop and ps3 through wifi. You just need to configure it now.
m
l
November 20, 2011 11:05:19 PM

Wifi will work just fine with just a wireless router and will let all of your devices talk to each other, but without an internet provider they will not be able to talk to the outside world or access the internet. The built in modem in the wireless router will still need an outside server to contact, that is provided by an internet provider. Without subscribing to an internet provider you cannot access the internet.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2011 11:12:53 PM

hunter315 said:
Wifi will work just fine with just a wireless router and will let all of your devices talk to each other, but without an internet provider they will not be able to talk to the outside world or access the internet. The built in modem in the wireless router will still need an outside server to contact, that is provided by an internet provider. Without subscribing to an internet provider you cannot access the internet.

so once i get a internet provider then ill be all set?
m
l
November 20, 2011 11:19:12 PM

you need an internet provider to PROVIDE you with internet, wifi are any wireless connections is dependant on what modem you have.

m
l
Anonymous
November 20, 2011 11:40:48 PM

If you are currently on the internet, then you have an internet provider, if not then yes that is all you need
m
l
November 20, 2011 11:47:41 PM

Quote:
If you are currently on the internet, then you have an internet provider, if not then yes that is all you need

okay thanks so much!
m
l
!