New FX-8120... does this seem hot?

mttmrrsn

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I just put together my new system after replacing a defective motherboard that had some overheating issues:

MSI 990AX-GD55 (latest bios)
AMD FX-8120 (with stock cooler)
KingstonKHX1600C9D3X2K2/4GX DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 x2
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB x2 (RAID 0)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
LiteOn iHAS424 - DVD±RW
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W

Because I had heat issues in the past I installed windows and ran all available updates then ran Prime 95 along with CPUID (the new build for FX processors). I'm getting core temps of 56 degrees running a full load under Prime95... I think this still seems high considering the cpu safe shut off temp is somewhere in the 60s. I am running the stock cooler but I have removed the stock thermal paste and replaced it with arctic silver (and yes I have done this correctly with an extremely thin coat of thermal paste and no excess). Do these temps seem high to anyone else?

Are the stock coolers just not enough for this CPU? I don't see anyone else having heating issues, but then again the only posts I can find are from people overclocking and they aren't running stock coolers anyways.

mttmrrsn

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Thanks! I wanted to be sure because I built this system to run Battlefield 3 and with the motherboard I RMA'd I could stick a box fan on the side on high in a cold room and it would still overheat after about 5 minutes.