Sign in with
Your question

AsRock

Last response: in Motherboards
August 23, 2012 5:40:43 PM

Just wondering if any of you guys had anything on this new asRock Extreme 11 motherboard? Sounds really expensive but hardcore and Im always looking to upgrade so is it a good MB? Is it easy to raid 0 setup? Is the Bios easy to understand unlike the R4E?

More about : asrock

a c 121 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 7:42:44 PM

I am assuming you are talking about the X79 Extreme11?

If so, it looks like a solid board, ASRock tends to make decent products, not quite as good as Asus or gigabyte, but still a solid contender when on a budget.

It does use a UEFI BIOS, so it will look similar ot the R4E, and RAID setup will be pretty simple. I would highly suggest not using RAID for SSD's if you have them, as it removes some of the built in functionality.
August 23, 2012 7:48:15 PM

Asus and Asrock are made by the same people, at the same location just about. Asrock is starting to become independent now that there stuff is good quality. RAID is determined by the chipset not the board. My RAID 0 and RAID 1 setup on my asrock board are all managed by Intel parts/software.

P.S. My SSDs in RAID 0 are stupidly fast.
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 7:52:04 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Asus and Asrock are made by the same people, at the same location just about. Asrock is starting to become independent now that there stuff is good quality. RAID is determined by the chipset not the board. My RAID 0 and RAID 1 setup on my asrock board are all managed by Intel parts/software.

P.S. My SSDs in RAID 0 are stupidly fast.

Fast, yes.

however RAID disables TRIM and garbage collection which will shorten the life of the SSD, and decrease performance as time goes on.
August 23, 2012 8:08:27 PM

itzdanielp said:
Fast, yes.

however RAID disables TRIM and garbage collection which will shorten the life of the SSD, and decrease performance as time goes on.

True, but by the time that happens I'll be time to upgrade my system, or SSDs are going to be so much cheaper ill be buying bigger better one (or two) anyway. It is not an overnight thing, especially since nothing is written to my SSD unless I install a program. All user folders have been moved to my HDDs in RAID 1.
a c 121 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 9:01:54 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
True, but by the time that happens I'll be time to upgrade my system, or SSDs are going to be so much cheaper ill be buying bigger better one (or two) anyway. It is not an overnight thing, especially since nothing is written to my SSD unless I install a program. All user folders have been moved to my HDDs in RAID 1.

Cool deal
!