Dell CD-RW/DVD Drive Reads, Not Writes

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 9:31:44 AM

Hello,

I have a QSI CDRW/DVD drive that no longer functions correctly. Here's
what it can and can't do:

Disk Is Disk Is
Burned Manufactured
--------------------------
Rip | No Sometimes
Burn | No No
Read | Sometimes Always

By manufactured, I mean the disk comes from a software vendor, it's not
one that I've burned myself.

I don't know of anything I've done to make this happen (drops, hits,
etc). The last thing I remember doing before I noticed this problem is
copying all files from a DVD movie (not ROM) to my hard drive. I
didn't rip the DVD, just copied it like you would from any disk drive.

Does anybody know of anything I can do to fix this? I've flashed the
BIOS of the computer, reseated the drive and uninstalled/reinstalled
the drive. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!
Mark
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 9:47:13 AM

With my laptop, the manufacturer instructs to be running with the AC
charger.

and/or

Maybe the laser needs to be cleaned?

Don

<mjbigelow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a QSI CDRW/DVD drive that no longer functions correctly. Here's
> what it can and can't do:
>
> Disk Is Disk Is
> Burned Manufactured
> --------------------------
> Rip | No Sometimes
> Burn | No No
> Read | Sometimes Always
>
> By manufactured, I mean the disk comes from a software vendor, it's not
> one that I've burned myself.
>
> I don't know of anything I've done to make this happen (drops, hits,
> etc). The last thing I remember doing before I noticed this problem is
> copying all files from a DVD movie (not ROM) to my hard drive. I
> didn't rip the DVD, just copied it like you would from any disk drive.
>
> Does anybody know of anything I can do to fix this? I've flashed the
> BIOS of the computer, reseated the drive and uninstalled/reinstalled
> the drive. Any ideas would be great.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 2:23:04 PM

Thanks, Don. I am running on the AC adaptor, although I've used it
without it before. How do I go about cleaning the laser?

Thanks!
Mark
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 12:17:49 AM

The failure rate on optical drives is EXTREMELY high, in my experience
the one-year failure rate is nearly 50%.

The only drives that I've seen that consistently do a lot better are
Samsung and Pioneer desktop full size drives.

!