Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
This is my rig that was built in November of 2011

i7-2500K @ 3.8 GHZ
ASUS Maximus Gene-Z
2 x 4GB DDR3 1600
MSI Twin Frozr 7950 @ 1000/1575
Seasonic X750

I turned it on this morning to play League of Legends and behold, no video. So I peer through my mesh side panel to identify the debug code to look at the current status and no debug code. Pressing the reset button on the motherboard does nothing either.

Everything powers on. The GPU fan spins, the case fans move, the Corsair H60 pumps. There is just no video output and no debug code.

Things I have done with no success:
1) Reset CMOS using by removing the battery and moving the jumper
2) Use the onboard SB video
3) Boot with only one of each stick of RAM
4) Boot with a 5770

cl-scott

Honorable
This sounds like a pre-POST failure, so much as no one ever wants to hear it, you need to break it down to a bare minimum config for just POST. If you can't even get that far, then at least you've narrowed down the possible sources of the problem, and if you can get it to POST, then you can start adding parts back one at a time until you find the problem part.

roninmedia

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I went to a bare minimum (Only the Motherboard, CPU and RAM) to test it. Couldn't get any video and still no debug code and various LEDs are on. Based on what the manual that came with my motherboard

The Hard Disk LED is a solid orange. However, my manual states "The LED does not light up when there is no hard drive disk connected to the motherboard".

The CPU_LED and BOOT_DEVICE_LED are solid. According to the manual, there are a series of LEDs near the 24-pin connector that checks the CPU, VGA, RAM and BOOT DEVICE and remain solid until the problem is solved.

The RESET button on the motherboard will also not work once I turn it on, and hope to RESET to just see if it works.

cl-scott

Honorable
Since you're getting issues with even a bare minimum config, then it looks like you've narrowed it to either the CPU or motherboard. My money is on the CPU since you're getting diagnostic LEDs on the motherboard, but others may disagree. At this point you are probably going to have to replace one or the other before you can tell which is at fault.

And before I get too far ahead of myself... You tested with the bare minimum amount of RAM needed for POST right?

roninmedia

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009

The only DDR3 ram I have is with 2 x 4 GB I have with this system. So I only used one stick in slot 2 of 4 as the manual suggested.