Is this $2000 computer worth it? Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exilink

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Hi!!!! I'm planning on making a new computer. I have a budget of $2000 so here's what I'm planning to get.

Specification: Computer Case: AZZA Hurrican 2000 Full Tower(comes with 8 fans)
Processor: i7- 2600k ( Overclocked to 4.6)
Ram: Corsair 8gb ddr 3 ram 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling System: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan
Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 1.2GB DDR5[SLI]
Power Supply: 1,000 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gaming 80 Plus
Hard drive: 2TB Western Digital
Sound Card: Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium PCI Express Sound Card
Operating System: NONE
Others: Samsung Bluray player, Bluetooth, Anti-Vibrant fan mount, Sound Absoring foam.

I already own two 1920x1080 LED 27" Monitors.

QUESTIONS:
Will this work?(Example: Will it overheat or Powersupply isn't good enough)
Is this good for Gaming and Multitasking (I might have bluray video playing on one monitor while playing game or browsing the web on the other computer)
Should I change anything? Is some component unneccessary? [Example: Cooling system or power supply]
Your Suggestion for $2000 computer

Solution
photonboy, reading that article, a 6870x2 plus a 6870 in crossfire results in the best gaming experience on the market today and beats all dual GPU setups, even gtx580 SLI in raw performance and has less micro-stuttering.

I would still go for GTX570 SLI since the article says the more powerful the video cards are the less micro-stuttering occurs. And yes, the experience presented in this article is limited.

exilink, that AX 850W PSU should be fine. Also the SSD only affects loading times in windows programs, windows itself and in games but you will not receive higher frame rates. But i recommend you buy a 64Gb min SSD for windows installation, everything loads faster, also make it SATA III.

590 has 2 GPU's so it has 1.5Gb for each...

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
There are much better PSU's then anything Cooler Master, Rosewill ect... (these are hit or miss, mostly miss) look for: Antec, PC P&C, Corsair, Enermax/Lepa, Silverstone/Seasonic, XFX, or the OCZ Z series. Seriously 2k for a PC without an OS? No need for acoustic foam. Much better cases out there (that Hurricane is smaller than the solano BTW). Better WC loop kits are sold, cheaper on frozenCPU. For the 570's in SLI you might need something bigger than 1000W (just a suggestion). There is also no need for the sound card, always try the onboard before getting a sound card (often the difference is miniscule). If getting a sound card anyway, look at the Asus Xonar instead of creative (still some driver issues there).

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Why is 1kw not enough for gtx570 sli? Also, drop the sound card. The ones that come with the motherboards are good sound cards, well unless you really need something better but you should think about it because the non integrated sound cards have issues in different games or programs.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
But there is such a thing: overdoing it.

A 1k PSU is enough to power that system with overclocking included for a few years.

I would go like this, 2x gtx570, a motherboard that supports dual PCI-E 16x slots on 1155 socket, 2600k CPU, a SSD for windows and 1-2 TB HDD for storage, the rest is optional. Aso the PSU must be a quality one.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

Then again I have a pair of 6950's (reference w/ switch). (these are power hogs)

Exilink

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
So guys which power supply? So i should change the case right? How bout the cooler master HAF X Full Tower? and no sound card. The power supply seems good though because it's an free upgrade from 850watt and theres a $30 mail in rebate XD

And question #2: Should I get GTX 570 SLI or a single GtX 590? The 590 is a $100 more but it has 3gb of ram compared to 1.2 each for 570 but the performance is the same... If i get the 590 i can always add the 2nd one later right? From what i know, more Vram is better for 2 monitors right? And should I get SSD? I don't care if games load faster but if it has effect on game's framerate then i would get one lol or how else would it be helpful?

SLI. Do Not.

Read the recent article on micro-stuttering here at Toms. Trust me, you should stick with a single GTX570. It's overkill for many games because the monitors can only show 60FPS anyway.

PSU:
It's the AMPS on the +12V rail or rails that is most important to you. I recommend something around a 750W supply with 50Amps. A GTX570 uses 38A and you should have 1.25x that to be safe. Read the specs.

If you go SLI then it's still the Amps you need to look at. Most PSU's with enough Amps for two GTX570's would have enough Wattage as well so really just look at:
- AMPS
- PRICE
- QUALITY (read reviews)

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
photonboy, reading that article, a 6870x2 plus a 6870 in crossfire results in the best gaming experience on the market today and beats all dual GPU setups, even gtx580 SLI in raw performance and has less micro-stuttering.

I would still go for GTX570 SLI since the article says the more powerful the video cards are the less micro-stuttering occurs. And yes, the experience presented in this article is limited.

exilink, that AX 850W PSU should be fine. Also the SSD only affects loading times in windows programs, windows itself and in games but you will not receive higher frame rates. But i recommend you buy a 64Gb min SSD for windows installation, everything loads faster, also make it SATA III.

590 has 2 GPU's so it has 1.5Gb for each GPU. Go for 2 GTX580 if you want 1.5Gb of RAM. It all depends on how much more you want to spend on your PC.

Solution
I basically agree with the above:
GTX570

However, I personally have an SSD and 60GB was not enough. It started out okay at 35GB used of 55GB available (about 28GB if you have 4GB of RAM). However after System Restore updates, Microsoft updates, temp files etc I ran out of room.

I ended up having to get another 60GB drive, but I would prefer a single drive because:
1) updating is easier
2) no TRIM support with RAID drives

If you do get an SSD, and I recommend you do, the 120GB OCZ Agility 3 was the best one I saw. Look for sales on OCZ version 3 SSD's and get at LEAST 80GB (I believe it's 60GB then 120GB).

Get a 1TB or 2TB hard drive such as the 2TB WD GREEN ($85) and you can use it to install games, backups, Internet downloads etc. (point all browsers to a download folder on your second hard drive if using an SSD with limited space.)

Western Digital has a great, free program called "Acronis True Image" (basic version) which you can manually create IMAGES of your C-Drive. Use it to make a complete backup of your C-Drive (Windows) in case of drive failure, software corruption etc.

I make a complete backup once per week. I keep two backups and delete older ones for space.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

if you actually read the article you would see that with higher end gpu's (560 ti/6950 and up) the micro stuttering was so minimal you cannot even notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.