Sign in with
Your question

Should i upgrade my CPU or GPU

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2011 10:07:40 AM

Ok so my question is which part should i upgrade in order to see more fps in my games.
Currently i am using
4gigs ddr3 g skill ram
AMD athlon II x3 3.1ghz cpu
ATI radeon hd 5770 XFX GPU

I was think of upgrading my cpu to either an amd 1090t or 955be. Are six cores really better than 4? Or is 3 enough and should i upgrade my gpu instead?

More about : upgrade cpu gpu

a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2011 10:18:03 AM

What resolution do you play at? What brand/wattage is your power supply? The best upgrade would be the GFX card (most games aren't coded for more than 2 cores anyway). Do you have a 64bit OS? If so another cheap upgrade would be more RAM.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2011 10:23:14 AM

For gaming, 6 cores are no better than 4.

I'd say get a better GPU. The X3 can push beyond a HD5770 in most games (bar the highly CPU intensive ones, eg SC2 and Civ 5 etc) and a better GPU can only improve performance.

Plus, putting down money for a processor soon to be replaced is not a very good idea.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2011 11:05:54 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies. I an running a 64 bit os and i play at 1080p, i do not like to go lower with the res.
my psu is an ocz stealth x stream 650 watt.
i was also thinking of getting 4 more gigs of ram since it would only cost 25 bucks on newegg.
i suppose a gfx card is wat ill upgrade. I'm thinking of getting the radeon hd 6870
what do you think about this choice? it also comes with deus ex free =]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 22, 2011 5:30:09 PM

oooo. that one is cheaper and still comes with deus ex. i like that.
o yea some games i play are starcraft II, Age of Conan, Call of duty black ops,

EDIT: How big of a performance boost would i get if i get another HDD and go RAID0 and add 4gig of ram for a total of 8gigs? Would this upgrade be noticable?
m
l
!