Sign in with
Your question

System fails to start when RAM is connected

Last response: in Motherboards
August 23, 2012 8:16:41 PM

Greetings everyone,

This is my first post in tomshardware.

Here's my issue.Yesterday,I started building my new desktop.After installing all the components in the PC case I tried to power my system to see if it was working well.Unfortunately it wasn't.As soon as I would hit the power button all the fans would start spinning but after 1 second the system would power off and after few seconds it would start all over again.No beeps at all.Then I had to turn off the PSU to stop the cycle.After hours I figured that the problem was caused by the RAM.My motherboard has 4 DIMM slots and 2 channels.When I had 1 of the 2 modules of RAM inserted in channel B the problem would occur.When there wasn't any RAM in channel B it would proceed.I tried to put both modules in channel A and then it would still run.Both in channel B->problem.
Today,I borrowed one kingston RAM kit 1600 MHz and installed it to the motherboard.A channel each.Turned on the PSU power,pressed power button...and the same problem again.So my thought is that the motherboard is faulty :(  .I would like to hear your opinions before unscrewing everything though. :) 

Here's my hardware:
MB:Gigabyte P67-DS3-B3
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB module kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
CPU:intel core i5-2400,3.10GHz 6MB cache
GPU:Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950
PSU:Corsair GS700
HDD:Seagate 500GB 7200 rpm

P.S.I haven't installed any OS yet.
P.S2.I found a video on youtube that looks like my problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OGhNCnA_-Q&list=LLD9crb...

a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 9:05:40 PM

That does indeed sound like a motherboard issue. Now, if the replacement board does the same thing, it's probably worth going back to the beginning because you probably overlooked something, but I doubt that'll happen.
August 23, 2012 10:42:43 PM

Forgot to mention that my RAM is 1600 MHz and is recognized for just 1333 MHz as I see in BIOS.Shouldn't be seen as 1600 MHz or do I have to set the frequency manually?
!