Replacing HDD of IBM ThinkPad R31

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 10:00:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I have an IBM ThinkPad R31 (Celeron 1.06GHz version), and recently its
harddisk died. I will replace it, but need some advice:

The original disk of the laptop is an IBM TravelStar 20GB / 4200RPM. I
will probably replace it with a 40GB Seagate, which is easier to find
here.
There are two options:
1. ST-94019A, 40GB, 4200 RPM, 2.5"
2. ST-94011A, 40GB, 5400 RPM, 2.5"

The higher RPM suggests that I should prefer the 94011A, but would the
laptop have problems powering / accessing a disk with faster RPM than
its original disk ?

Also, are there any limitations in the BIOS etc that will cause
problems with the 40GB size, which is double the size of the original ?

And lastly, should I expect any form-factor or IDE connector problems
in fitting the Seagate drive ?

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 2:26:03 PM

Thanks for the info - one last minute question that popped up in my
mind: Will heating be a problem with 5400 RPM ?
Thanks again,
Arifi
August 17, 2005 6:17:50 PM

The laptop will have no problems accessing the faster disk, it should make
it run a little faster. With it being a Celeron 1.06GHz machine, it should
be new enough to recognize a 40GB disk and the form factor/ide connection
should not be an issue.

"arifi" <sfarifi@mind2biz.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have an IBM ThinkPad R31 (Celeron 1.06GHz version), and recently its
> harddisk died. I will replace it, but need some advice:
>
> The original disk of the laptop is an IBM TravelStar 20GB / 4200RPM. I
> will probably replace it with a 40GB Seagate, which is easier to find
> here.
> There are two options:
> 1. ST-94019A, 40GB, 4200 RPM, 2.5"
> 2. ST-94011A, 40GB, 5400 RPM, 2.5"
>
> The higher RPM suggests that I should prefer the 94011A, but would the
> laptop have problems powering / accessing a disk with faster RPM than
> its original disk ?
>
> Also, are there any limitations in the BIOS etc that will cause
> problems with the 40GB size, which is double the size of the original ?
>
> And lastly, should I expect any form-factor or IDE connector problems
> in fitting the Seagate drive ?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> -arifi

a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 9:10:29 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone! I am ordering the 5400 RPM Seagate since
its power requirements are the same with the 4200 RPM version. However,
I checked other brands also: Seagate's power requirements are quite
higher than the Hitachi ones - is this a measuring difference or does
Hitachi have the lead in technology here ?

Best,
-arifi
August 17, 2005 9:53:11 PM

> Thanks for the info - one last minute question that popped up in my
> mind: Will heating be a problem with 5400 RPM ?
> Thanks again,
> Arifi

I really don't know the answer to that. It will run a little hotter but my
guess would be that it would not be a problem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 12:20:27 AM

Check the power consumption on the drives. Power consumption = heat
generation. Almost all laptop drives are 5 volts at 500ma (2.5 watts),
but if the new drive draws more current (ma) than the old drive, that's
a potential issue. In fact however, even if it draws more, it's very
unlikely to be enough more to be an issue.

!