Sign in with
Your question

Is ASRock trolling?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 23, 2012 10:23:44 PM

There is a new feature in some of the recent ASRock motherboards like the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 called "Dehumidifier". Here is the reportedly "official" video showing off this new feature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQfFVT4tT8

I was stunned by the effort they put into making the video, which actually led me to think that they are probably just trolling?
Anyway, here's the question:

Does this feature actually works or does anything at all?

More about : asrock trolling

a c 716 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 10:41:06 PM

Sadly, that's the official ASRock YouTube channel and yep there's a Dehumidifier function. In some Countries humidity through lack of A/C is a problem.

Link (note the YouTube's) - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/
August 23, 2012 10:43:56 PM

Tested it last night and it does work, but I currently live in a very humid place (South Korea). If I have the AC on its pointless.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 10:48:54 PM

Yep, if you have the A/C 'on' then it's a pointless feature. I'm sure Cleon is multilingual and is 'trying' his best in English.
August 23, 2012 11:01:20 PM

Yes..... It is indeed their official channel.... Wow..... So could you explain how does it work? Is there a fan inside or anything? If it is a dehumidifier, where is the water stored?
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 11:16:51 PM

My best guess is the setting heats up the MOBO (chipsets probably by inducing a load) to evaporate water condensed on the MOBO and runs the fans to blow evaporated water out. It's not a 'real' dehumidifier.

Gigabyte has re-engineered their PCB to simply not allow water (condensation) penetration on their MOBO's.
August 23, 2012 11:22:59 PM

Well.... Glad I don't have any humidity problems in my area!
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 11:24:52 PM

Hmm...I live in Florida but it's nothing like Savannah, Georgia with 100F+ with 100% humidity in the summer. I'd hate not to have A/C :( 
August 23, 2012 11:42:25 PM

That is definitely real but I could easily why understand why you would think it is. The guy was super socially awkward and was one of the heads of marketing. It was made like on of those infomercials and the guy's last name was Wang.
August 24, 2012 11:41:49 AM

Well, they could just hire an actor instead of exposing the poor guy to youtube.... Also, Gigabyte's solution seems to be much better IMO.
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 24, 2012 12:28:57 PM

Couldn't agree more! :) 
December 6, 2013 8:02:30 AM

I am pretty sure, seeing as computers are electronics, they would use a Thermoelectric cooler dehumidifier (or a combination of that and self AC), which is easy to implement into a computer, due to both the mechanics and the size they would use. And Jaquith, what you just mentioned would not work in ANY kind of system, You cannot evaporate something that is already evaporated and in the air.
!