Sign in with
Your question

BSOD with New Gigabyte Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
August 23, 2012 10:24:00 PM

Okay, I have a weird one here. Just bought a new barebones system from Portatech, whom I have purchased from before and had no problems:

Barebones w/ Intel Core (1155 Gen3)
w/ Core i7 3770 (4 x 3.9GHz CPU-8MB Cache+1150MHz Graphics)
Gigabyte B75M-D3H Motherboard
Quiet Cooling Package
3TB SATA3-6gb/sec 7200RPM (64MB Cache) Hard Drive
Antec Six Hundred Quiet Case (Black w/ Side Window)
700 Watt Power Supply - Dual PCIe 6-Pin Compliant
16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8 Dual Channel kit)
ATI Radeon HD6670 (2GB)

I am nutshelling 2 days of troubleshooting into the following:
Started the installation of Win7 and kept getting BSOD at random places early in the installation. After a lot of troubleshooting, I removed the graphics card and the installation went through using the Intel Onboard Graphics card. Ran Windows Update, which also updated the Intel graphics and it immediately BSOD, something about "Memory-Management".

Got back to clean install, used the updates from Gigabyte themselves, same thing happened. I was now starting to get random error "reasons".

Tried the ATI card again, BSOD. I have 2 other cards, same problem occured with both of them. So it appears all I can do is use the onboard Intel graphics card, but NOT update the driver.

I flashed the MB, same thing still happened. Tried installing Win8, came up with weird errors, different each time I tried.

So at this point I have a fully running system on Win7, but no go if I do anything with the graphics card. Any ideas from anyone would be extremely appreciated.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 11:12:31 PM

First I'd make certain that you memory isn't the problem; create a bootable CD/DVD/USB Flash Drive of Memtest86+ using one of the (.ISO) files, boot using F8 to either the ODD (DVD/BR) or the Intel USB Ports with the Flash Dive. Run the test for 4 full passes (several hours or overnight). Memtest86+ - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

IF you have no errors and the problem still persists then Clear CMOS using the Jumper. To do it correctly unlpug the PSU for 5 minutes and then move the Jumper for at least 5 seconds and back again, boot into the BIOS and Load Optimized Defaults and save. Video - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Most HD 6670 use only PCIe Slot power, but if yours has any 4/6-pin PCIe auxiliary power connectors then verify they are connected directly to the PSU. Use the top PCIe x16 slot, but you can try the bottom PCIe slot.

BIOS - with the e.g. HD 6670 installed and properly seated in the top PCIe slot, connect the monitor to only the HD 6670 GPU.
BIOS Setting:
Init Display First -> PEG

Go to the Intel's Driver Update Utility and update any drivers - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

m
l
August 31, 2012 1:54:55 AM

So the problem ended up being one of the slots that the memory goes into. Weird. Replaced the motherboard and all is well. Thanks folks.
m
l
!