6870 scary temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlywan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
A few days ago, my dad and I built a low-budget $650 dollar gaming setup. This setup entailed a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE, and XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870. After about an hour and a half of setup, I booted up the computer and it all ran perfectly. Once I got Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the computer, I was shocked to look at my temperatures. I was running at about 77c at about 70% load on Modern Warfare 2. I played at 1680x1050 with 4xAA and max graphics. For whatever reason, the graphics card was running at the above temperatures, sometimes even higher if I pushed it to the limits in DiRT 3. I then discovered that the GFX card was in the PCI Express x4 slot instead of the x16 slot, and thought maybe that would explain it. But after reseating it, it still was reporting high temperatures. Are these sort of temperatures normal for a graphics card of this quality? My case is a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition. I have one exhaust fan in the back, would putting a case fan putting cool air from the bottom into the intake fan and having another exhaust fan on the side of the case help out with the temperatures or do I need to RMA the card?

Solution
Thats a normal temp for a graphics card, now if that was a processor i would say it is too hot, but my 470 gtx's under full load get about 85-90 degrees celcius because they run hot. The thermal threshold for graphics cards are much higher than ones for processors. So 77 is perfectly normal, if your woried about it turn up the fan speeds on the graphics cards in the ati control panel.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Thats a normal temp for a graphics card, now if that was a processor i would say it is too hot, but my 470 gtx's under full load get about 85-90 degrees celcius because they run hot. The thermal threshold for graphics cards are much higher than ones for processors. So 77 is perfectly normal, if your woried about it turn up the fan speeds on the graphics cards in the ati control panel.

Solution

kss207rc

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Your card is fine and the temperatures are quit normal but you definitly need those fans.One in the front for intake one in the side for exhaust and another on the top for exhaust.They are going to help your system overall and extend the life span.

Status
Not open for further replies.