Connecting 3.5" HDD to Notebook Computer

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 3:04:27 PM

I'm looking for an easy solution to connect a desktop hard drive to a
notebook. I know about external enclosure but my needs are for testing
purposes and I need to boot off the HDD just like if the 2.5" was in
the Laptop.

It's really easy and inexpensive to get an adapter to do the opposite
(2.5 to 3.5) but I can't find anything to go the other way around.

At the moment, I use ghost to backup the notebook drive to a 3.5" HDD.
Once this is done, I have to ghost it back to a 2.5" in order to test
it on the notebook. Will I have to invent this adapter or did someone
already did that?

If you know of anything, please help...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 12:21:31 AM

I've never seen an adapter that would do that. One could be made,
however one issue is that no notebook will ever be able to power a
desktop 3.5" drive.

Frenchie wrote:

> I'm looking for an easy solution to connect a desktop hard drive to a
> notebook. I know about external enclosure but my needs are for testing
> purposes and I need to boot off the HDD just like if the 2.5" was in
> the Laptop.
>
> It's really easy and inexpensive to get an adapter to do the opposite
> (2.5 to 3.5) but I can't find anything to go the other way around.
>
> At the moment, I use ghost to backup the notebook drive to a 3.5" HDD.
> Once this is done, I have to ghost it back to a 2.5" in order to test
> it on the notebook. Will I have to invent this adapter or did someone
> already did that?
>
> If you know of anything, please help...

August 18, 2005 1:32:06 AM

Frenchie <yannstlo@gmail.com> wrote:
: I'm looking for an easy solution to connect a desktop hard drive to a
: notebook. I know about external enclosure but my needs are for testing
: purposes and I need to boot off the HDD just like if the 2.5" was in
: the Laptop.

This won't solve your problem...but it would be nice if you could just
boot from an external hard drive (i.e. enclosure). I think my laptop
can boot off a USB CD drive but not a hard drive, I think.
Undoubtedly some computers allow this sort of booting?

You could construct the adaptor you need - shouldn't be impossible.
You'd probably need an external power supply for the hard drive, as
Barry said.

Andrew

--

Andrew
--

On 17 Aug 2005 21:32:06 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
wrote:

>This won't solve your problem...but it would be nice if you could just
>boot from an external hard drive (i.e. enclosure). I think my laptop
>can boot off a USB CD drive but not a hard drive, I think.
>Undoubtedly some computers allow this sort of booting?

I know that R5# and T4# ThinkPad models (formerly IBM, now Lenovo)
allow booting from a USB hard drive (speaking from personal
experience). I believe that all current ThinkPad models support this,
but I'm not sure. I haven't verified this, but I have heard report
that other manufacturers also support this as well (Dell, Toshiba and
Compaq/HP).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 3:03:22 PM

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> Frenchie <yannstlo@gmail.com> wrote:
> : I'm looking for an easy solution to connect a desktop hard drive to a
> : notebook. I know about external enclosure but my needs are for testing
> : purposes and I need to boot off the HDD just like if the 2.5" was in
> : the Laptop.
>
> This won't solve your problem...but it would be nice if you could just
> boot from an external hard drive (i.e. enclosure). I think my laptop
> can boot off a USB CD drive but not a hard drive, I think.
> Undoubtedly some computers allow this sort of booting?
>
> You could construct the adaptor you need - shouldn't be impossible.
> You'd probably need an external power supply for the hard drive, as
> Barry said.
>
> Andrew
>
> : It's really easy and inexpensive to get an adapter to do the opposite
> : (2.5 to 3.5) but I can't find anything to go the other way around.
>
> : At the moment, I use ghost to backup the notebook drive to a 3.5" HDD.
> : Once this is done, I have to ghost it back to a 2.5" in order to test
> : it on the notebook. Will I have to invent this adapter or did someone
> : already did that?
>
> : If you know of anything, please help...

USB to IDE adaptors exist in some profusion. They come with a power supply.
3.5 to 2.5 adaptors also exist. Depending on the BIOS in your laptop, it is
possible to boot from USB disk drives (and even firewire drives).

If you can boot from a USB CD drive, you should be able to boot from a USB
hard drive.
August 18, 2005 5:52:32 PM

"Frenchie" <yannstlo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for an easy solution to connect a desktop hard drive to a
> notebook. I know about external enclosure but my needs are for testing
> purposes and I need to boot off the HDD just like if the 2.5" was in
> the Laptop.
>
> It's really easy and inexpensive to get an adapter to do the opposite
> (2.5 to 3.5) but I can't find anything to go the other way around.
>
> At the moment, I use ghost to backup the notebook drive to a 3.5" HDD.
> Once this is done, I have to ghost it back to a 2.5" in order to test
> it on the notebook. Will I have to invent this adapter or did someone
> already did that?
>
> If you know of anything, please help...

What is the notebook connection to the 3.5" HDD when you create the ghost
image? And why can't it be the same when you want to test the image? I use
ghost all the time and don't quite understand how your creating an image to
a 3.5" drive but can't use that same connection to restore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2005 10:09:26 PM

Well, let say I can't boot off my laptop drive for some yet unknown
reason and after backing up the drive to a 3.5" drive, I want to test
and see if the computer can boot off of the image on the 3.5" HDD.

Of course I can ghost it back to an 2.5" drive but I don't have one
yet. I just want to know if the image on the drive is compromise and if
I will need to reinstall the OS or if I can just ghost it to a brand
new 2.5" and be done with it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 3:23:13 AM

"Frenchie" <yannstlo@gmail.com> wrote:
>and see if the computer can boot off of the image on the 3.5" HDD.

If the 3.5" hard drive is connected to the computer via USB, this may
not work. WinXP is known _NOT_ to boot off USB hard drives, even if
your BIOS supports booting off them. As soon as it loads disk drivers
it'll start reading from the IDE drive, which isn't what you booted
off.
August 21, 2005 6:34:27 PM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:23:13 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

>"Frenchie" <yannstlo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>and see if the computer can boot off of the image on the 3.5" HDD.
>
>If the 3.5" hard drive is connected to the computer via USB, this may
>not work. WinXP is known _NOT_ to boot off USB hard drives, even if
>your BIOS supports booting off them. As soon as it loads disk drivers
>it'll start reading from the IDE drive, which isn't what you booted
>off.

Unless of course you _hide_ the IDE windows partition, then winxp
will not mount the IDE drive. I've tested this recently on a SATA
plus IDE box to verify a dataloss -- got caught by the behaviour
you describe and second attempt with hidden drive worked. Important
to realise winxp cannot cope with multiple primary boot drives and
will destroy a visible copy, a very interesting time waster, not.

Cheers.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 12:37:36 AM

Grant <g_r_a_n_t_@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
>>WinXP is known _NOT_ to boot off USB hard drives, even if
>>your BIOS supports booting off them. As soon as it loads disk drivers
>>it'll start reading from the IDE drive, which isn't what you booted
>>off.
>
>Unless of course you _hide_ the IDE windows partition, then winxp
>will not mount the IDE drive.

So you are saying you can successfully boot XP from a USB drive if
there's no IDE drive in the system?
!