Please help getting Windows XP user profile picture to wor..

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone could help me out. I use to have a jpg file
as my user profile picture in Windows XP Pro and it appeared at the
top of the menu in the Blue bar when I clicked on the Start button.
Now thae picture is gone and all that appears in the blue bar at the
top is "Windows XP". Can anyone walk me through getting my picture
back. I use to be able to double clcik on the picture to make changes
to the profile, but now that it is gone this no longer works.
Thanks in advance!!!
Regards,
Steve B.
PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
4 answers Last reply
More about please windows user profile picture

    go to control panel
    user accounts
    click on yours and then modify
    then you will be able to put it back
    Good luck
    PS: if you are any good HELP ME in the topid HELP ME!!
    lol :)
    "Steven B." wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was hoping that someone could help me out. I use to have a jpg file
    > as my user profile picture in Windows XP Pro and it appeared at the
    > top of the menu in the Blue bar when I clicked on the Start button.
    > Now thae picture is gone and all that appears in the blue bar at the
    > top is "Windows XP". Can anyone walk me through getting my picture
    > back. I use to be able to double clcik on the picture to make changes
    > to the profile, but now that it is gone this no longer works.
    > Thanks in advance!!!
    > Regards,
    > Steve B.
    > PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com

    Hi Steve,

    It's only there if you are using XP themes. If using classic there is no
    picture.

    If you have disabled Picture and Fax Viewer: Go to Start/Run and type in:
    regsvr32 shimgvw. Note: If you have disabled Picture and Fax Viewer by
    using regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll, you will not be able to change the picture.

    More info:
    Default Pictures are stored here:

    Windows Explorer\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures

    Restore User Default Pictures (Line 58)

    HOW TO: Add or Change a User's Picture in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q292434

    How to Add a Specific Picture

    Find a picture you are interested in using and use Save As to download
    and/or move the picture in question to your My Pictures Folder. Then go to
    User Account/Change my picture/Browse for more pictures/My Pictures
    Folder/Choose the picture you want to use, then click Open.

    Summary of an image is 48x48/71 dpi, depth 24.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Steven B." <PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was hoping that someone could help me out. I use to have a jpg file
    > as my user profile picture in Windows XP Pro and it appeared at the
    > top of the menu in the Blue bar when I clicked on the Start button.
    > Now thae picture is gone and all that appears in the blue bar at the
    > top is "Windows XP". Can anyone walk me through getting my picture
    > back. I use to be able to double clcik on the picture to make changes
    > to the profile, but now that it is gone this no longer works.
    > Thanks in advance!!!
    > Regards,
    > Steve B.
    > PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com

    Thanks,
    I think it does have to do with no longer using XP Themes. How can I
    reenable XP themes? Right now the system is not set to CLassic

    Start Menu. It is the option above that theat just says Start Menu

    On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 22:46:26 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Steve,
    >
    >It's only there if you are using XP themes. If using classic there is no
    >picture.
    >
    >If you have disabled Picture and Fax Viewer: Go to Start/Run and type in:
    >regsvr32 shimgvw. Note: If you have disabled Picture and Fax Viewer by
    >using regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll, you will not be able to change the picture.
    >
    >More info:
    >Default Pictures are stored here:
    >
    >Windows Explorer\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    >Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    >
    >Restore User Default Pictures (Line 58)
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >
    >HOW TO: Add or Change a User's Picture in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q292434
    >
    >How to Add a Specific Picture
    >
    >Find a picture you are interested in using and use Save As to download
    >and/or move the picture in question to your My Pictures Folder. Then go to
    >User Account/Change my picture/Browse for more pictures/My Pictures
    >Folder/Choose the picture you want to use, then click Open.
    >
    >Summary of an image is 48x48/71 dpi, depth 24.

    Thanks in advance!!!
    Regards,
    Steve B.
    PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com