AMD Trinity Internal Benchmarks Surface

15 answers Last reply
More about trinity internal benchmarks surface
  1. Doesn't really mean anything at the moment since those are only synthetic benchmarks.

    I recall a post a couple of days ago where someone was confused why a Llano A4 APU scored higher in PassMark than a Llano A8 APU. Everyone here knows that the A8 APU is faster, but apparently PassMark screwed up.

    Also note that the words "Estimated" and "Calculated" are used in the graph headers.
  2. I hope it is 50% better as the Llano A8 is basically athlon II x4 at under 3GHz
  3. I don't buy it, maybe 50% when using the gpu but the cpu well where is my mountain of salt please. We all know how BD is and doubt B3 will help much less the new Piledriver cores. Also there could also be the factor in that there is the possibility of higher speed ram being used. They provided so little info to what is actually being used such as references to models that this stinks like a rigged game. Better gpu than Llano but highly doubtful that the cpu is any better and likely to be weak when clocks are normalized. The only reason to push these is maybe yields. Those who got a FM1 build is stuck with what they got while the mobiles well we will all see at some point. Its the mobiles where amd is making the most gains over intel right now besides massive clunky servers. The only real reason why amd does well in the server market is simple they cost a lot less. I could buy a decent house with the money saved compared to a top of the line intel server that is maxed out.
  4. After Bulldozer, I'm not trusting rumors for AMD anymore... Can't even really trust AMD anymore... I wasn't around during the "40% better than Kentsfield" era, but Bulldozer was handled in basically the same way.

    I need to see an actual review with real programs before I draw my conclusions.

    Hoping the cpu side is at least better in IPC over Llano.
  5. simon12 said:
    I hope it is 50% better as the Llano A8 is basically athlon II x4 at under 3GHz


    Llano wasnt supposed to be something awesome CPU wise... its strength lies in its GPU. And the differences between it and the athlon are it has bigger L2 caches, the memory controller, and the 32nm arch. But any improvement is impressive, if they make the GPU better its gonna be awesome... I can already play skyrim, crysis, SC2 on my Llano, with lowered details (and no discrete card)... but for an IGP I am impressed. Hope Trinity works out for AMD, they need it.
  6. Haserath said:
    After Bulldozer, I'm not trusting rumors for AMD anymore... Can't even really trust AMD anymore... I wasn't around during the "40% better than Kentsfield" era, but Bulldozer was handled in basically the same way.

    I need to see an actual review with real programs before I draw my conclusions.

    Hoping the cpu side is at least better in IPC over Llano.


    I think BD was handled worse. The 40% better was a server performance estimate that fanboys threw everywhere and hyped up. AMD hyped BD.

    I honestly will believe it when I see it. I can see better performing GPU but CPU? not sure on that at all.
  7. jimmysmitty said:
    I think BD was handled worse. The 40% better was a server performance estimate that fanboys threw everywhere and hyped up. AMD hyped BD.

    I honestly will believe it when I see it. I can see better performing GPU but CPU? not sure on that at all.



    I agree... If we could only put the GPU from trinity on a SB or IB chip...
  8. 50% better performance in what are primarily GPU synthetic benchmarks. We know Bulldozer cores are slower than K10, even with Trinity using Piledriver cores I don't expect core performance to be much higher.

    Anyone notice current Llano has a max TDP of 100W, while the rumors I've seen show 125W for Trinity? Sounds to me like most of this performance gain is at the cost of higher clock speeds and power consumption, while the real performance gain will be in the GPU any way.
  9. Hmm, thought AMD was claiming "30%" better GPU performance over LLano, but too lazy to go look it up.
  10. "Estimated" performance? Lol, is AMD THAT desperate?
  11. gamerk316 said:
    "Estimated" performance? Lol, is AMD THAT desperate?


    Actually at one time it was 30%, then 50%, then down to 20% and lately just an "uplift": http://www.extremetech.com/computing/101617-amd-may-be-betting-future-success-on-bobcat-not-bulldozer/2

    Quote:
    Enthusiasts and armchair architects are hoping Trinity will fix some of what ails Bulldozer, but AMD’s guidance on what to expect has shifted markedly. Last summer, at the AMD Fusion summit, Rick Bergman, the now-departed head of AMD’s products group, told journalists “Trinity’s… performance will be at least 50% faster than performance you see today from the Llano.” Not only has AMD trimmed that figure back to 20%, they’re now calling it “uplift” as opposed to “improved performance.”
  12. The 50% improvement is because Win8 is slated to use GPU acceleration so naturally its going to be better than whatever they're comparing it to (Link broken in OP)
  13. redsunrises said:
    I agree... If we could only put the GPU from trinity on a SB or IB chip...


    Actually that might just happen in 2013, only it won't be from AMD. Intel has claimed that Haswell will have up to 7X performance of the Sandy Bridge GPU. They do this by sticking 1GB or more of low-voltage DDR3 on top of the die using a silicon through-via interface (aka "interposer"). This should give the GPU a huge, ultra-low-latency bandwidth directly to its memory.

    So basically you'll have an improved Ivy Bridge CPU and probably what today is a high-end GPU, on a 55Watt chip. If what Intel says is true, of course :P..
  14. fazers_on_stun said:
    Actually that might just happen in 2013, only it won't be from AMD. Intel has claimed that Haswell will have up to 7X performance of the Sandy Bridge GPU. They do this by sticking 1GB or more of low-voltage DDR3 on top of the die using a silicon through-via interface (aka "interposer"). This should give the GPU a huge, ultra-low-latency bandwidth directly to its memory.

    So basically you'll have an improved Ivy Bridge CPU and probably what today is a high-end GPU, on a 55Watt chip. If what Intel says is true, of course :P..



    Yeah lol doesnt matter to me what a company says, only what they can deliver. So I dont hold out hope for "predictions" like that from companies :) But it would be nice!
  15. I've read 25% cpu boost and 50% gpu boost that sounds good if accurate
    what really is amazing is where amd is going with heterogeneous systems architecture (HSA). today Lano,tomorrow Trinity, but in a few years time its staggering to think what
    a 256 bit say a hd7770 card paired with an apu with 7770d igp would do.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Trinity Surface AMD