Sign in with
Your question

What is the recommended ram for battlefield 3?

Last response: in Memory
August 24, 2012 2:20:00 AM

I have 4 gb of ram right now and i plan on playing battlefield 3 and a few other games including the sims 3, should I get more or is that enough and if i get more will it help in gameplay of these games?
a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 3:01:53 AM

I wouldn't add more ram at this time unless you plan on multitasking while gaming - 4GB is plenty for Sims and BF3. Of course if you're looking to record your play with FRAPS or chat on Skype while you're playing, more ram would be beneficial.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:13:32 AM

C12Friedman said:
I wouldn't add more ram at this time unless you plan on multitasking while gaming - 4GB is plenty for Sims and BF3. Of course if you're looking to record your play with FRAPS or chat on Skype while you're playing, more ram would be beneficial.

I dont plan on doing that but if i did decide to add more would it help my graphics on gaming or speed on gaming?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 3:21:43 AM

No. Ram is simply a cache for data without processing power of it's own. If you use up your available ram, you will know through such activities as hanging, pausing, freezing and a myriad of other hesitations as the ram clears itself to make more room. If you are not experiencing those issues, the addition of ram will not have any appreciable effect.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:45:21 AM

C12Friedman said:
No. Ram is simply a cache for data without processing power of it's own. If you use up your available ram, you will know through such activities as hanging, pausing, freezing and a myriad of other hesitations as the ram clears itself to make more room. If you are not experiencing those issues, the addition of ram will not have any appreciable effect.

Actually i am experiencing those problems while playing the sims 3, thats one of the reasons why im upgrading is because i want to play battlefield 3 and my computer is VERY slow and freezes whenever i try to play the sims 3. Is that my ram or what is it cause im very curious.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 3:56:58 AM

Actually, I would be suspecting driver issues there. Often a driver gets corrupted and then gets lost within the system, using system resources to try to find it's companion hardware and just generally making a mess of everything. I would suggest a driver sweeper program just to be sure. If it is a driver issue, adding ram will not help.
Try this program,
http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/
then see where you get with Sims, if the hanging issues persist afterward, then the addition of ram will probably help.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:57:53 AM

I think the problem isn't your ram...

it's your other pc parts being too weak...

can you post specs?
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:23:38 AM

killerhurtalot said:
I think the problem isn't your ram...

it's your other pc parts being too weak...

can you post specs?

I dont know much about the specs of the computer because it was custom built for me, but i do know it has a radeon hd 5450 graphics card, 4 gb of ram, an amd processor(not sure which one) and a 450 watt psu, thats all i know.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:35:14 AM

Well, I can tell you right now that radeon 5450 will chug a good bit if you try to run battlefield 3. (it will BARELY run the game...)

And I think that it might also be why your sims 3 game is running slow too... (what settings and resolution are you trying to run sims 3 at?)
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:42:46 AM

killerhurtalot said:
Well, I can tell you right now that radeon 5450 will chug a good bit if you try to run battlefield 3. (it will BARELY run the game...)

And I think that it might also be why your sims 3 game is running slow too... (what settings and resolution are you trying to run sims 3 at?)

Im running the game on high setting but it freezes no matter what settings, it just does it whenever, but im replacing the 5450 with gtx 560 and instaling an i3 processor so i hope that will solve my problems.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:44:53 AM

brodyman101 said:
Im running the game on high setting but it freezes no matter what settings, it just does it whenever, but im replacing the 5450 with gtx 560 and instaling an i3 processor so i hope that will solve my problems.

you're getting a new motherboard too right? cause the i3 won't fit in a amd motherboard.

but ya. that would definitely solve the problem.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:50:18 AM

killerhurtalot said:
you're getting a new motherboard too right? cause the i3 won't fit in a amd motherboard.

but ya. that would definitely solve the problem.

Oh ya, i didnt think of that, what motherboard would you recommend for an i3 processor with the gtx 560 graphics card?
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:55:21 AM

Or should i get an amd processor because im on a pretty tight budget?
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:58:13 AM

brodyman101 said:
Oh ya, i didnt think of that, what motherboard would you recommend for an i3 processor with the gtx 560 graphics card?

I'd recommend a H77 motherboard (since you're getting a i3 which cannot be overclocked)

This is a pretty nice one for pretty cheap
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As long as you're not overclocking your gpu, pretty much any h77 motherboard would do. (like you can cheap out and get a $70 h77 motherboard)
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:04:15 AM

killerhurtalot said:
I'd recommend a H77 motherboard (since you're getting a i3 which cannot be overclocked)

This is a pretty nice one for pretty cheap
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As long as you're not overclocking your gpu, pretty much any h77 motherboard would do. (like you can cheap out and get a $70 h77 motherboard)

What do i if i decide to overclock my gpu(probably not, but just in case) would i end up having trouble with my mother board?
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:12:00 AM

brodyman101 said:
What do i if i decide to overclock my gpu(probably not, but just in case) would i end up having trouble with my mother board?

You can overclock your GPU on the H77 motherboards since it's purely GPU based (not dependent on the motherboard bios)

You literally just have to download a overclocking software (like msi afterburner, evga's precision x (whatever brand you decide to go with))
m
l
!