Sign in with
Your question

My VGA is not detected anymore

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2011 3:00:02 AM

Hello all.

I have a strange problem from 2 months ago. I have a Saphire HD 5770 for over a year with no problems and one night I start my computer and my monitor didn't get any signal. So I connected it [the monitor] to the other VGA slot, the one on the motherboard, and worked. That said, my computer isn't detecting my VGA anymore, and I don't get why, as I always take care of the computer and I don't use it a whole lot.

So, now, two months after that, asuming my VGA is dead, I start the computer and play a game with the integrated GPU (which sucks, by the way). I played like an hour or so. So I restart my computer after playing and "voilá", my 5770 worked again, only to stop working after I restarted again.

I've been trying to know what is going on this whole week and still I have no clue. Sometimes my PC detects it and most of the times it don't. The times it detected, though, the VGA worked fine, graphics maxed up, no artifacts, all pretty much normal.

I must add that I already checked connections and all that obvious stuff. Heck, even I reinstalled windows with no luck. I also checked the Bios and everything is fine, I also changed the motherboard battery and nothing. I also tested using other PSU but nah. The only clue I have is that my computer usually detects the VGA after being on for a while (which explains why it worked after playing a hour and restarting). Unfortunely that observation seems to be a little wrong, as right know, even after several hours using the computer, after restarting it still don't work. Maybe the card finally died know? Maybe, as I've been abusing that technique this whole week.

So I ask if someone has an idea of what's going on? Because I'm clueless, this happened after a whole year without problems, and apparently with no reason at all. To make things worse, I can't test the card on another computer as I don't know anyone with a rig able to support it.

Thanks in advance :D 

More about : vga detected anymore

a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 3:21:09 AM

Have you tried re-seating the card in the PCI slot?
m
l
June 20, 2011 3:29:25 AM

Oh, yeah, I did. Sorry, I forgot to add that.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 3:39:54 AM

I don't think its the card as it would work on and off again.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 3:45:46 AM

The slot pins are not making good contact with the card pins? (dust and/or s..t in there?)
Can you barrow a card from a friend to test and see if it works?
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:05:23 AM

I also think it's not the card. I believe it's the PCI slot, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I believe the pins are making contact, I cleaned up the whole computer a days ago. And to your last question, unfortunely no. I can't test the card on another computer or test another card on mine: from my group of friends I'm the only geek, lol.

Thanks for the replies.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 4:17:40 AM

How about a tester you put in the PCI slot and power on, it displays error codes you can look up to find meaning. They go for about $15 and you'll know if its the mobo.
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:25:18 AM

Hmm... I might try that, thanks.

Still, I found this problem very strange. I mean, if the VGA died then it shouldn't work at all, period, but instead it works sometimes, meaning the card it's not dead. The same with the mobo. I don't get it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 4:38:24 AM

Just thought of this. Try replacing your DVI cable that will cause the same problems!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 4:41:16 AM

It could have been damaged slightly and movement over time is getting worse.
(I assumed your using a DVI cable to monitor.)
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:55:19 AM

Actually it's a VGA cable with a DVI adaptor, as my card doesn't have a VGA slot. My monitor it's kinda old.

So, do you think that my monitor could have damaged the card or something like that?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:02:46 AM

I'd replace both, adapter and cable or just adapter if you can't unplug it from the monitor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:05:53 AM

when you plugged it in to on-board VGA with or without adapter?
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:07:30 AM

Thanks for the tip. I guess the only thing left to do is try the card on another PC, I'm out of options already. I have the feeling it's the PCI slot, and that means I'll need to change the mobo, which also means change the RAM, probably. That sucks.

EDIT: Without the adapter. The Mobo has a VGA connector unlike the video card. Still that's doesn't explains why it worked sometimes.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:11:33 AM

Change adapter and cable first, it's probably one of them that's bad. It'll save you money!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:13:44 AM

az-fs said:
Thanks for the tip. I guess the only thing left to do is try the card on another PC, I'm out of options already. I have the feeling it's the PCI slot, and that means I'll need to change the mobo, which also means change the RAM, probably. That sucks.

EDIT: Without the adapter. The Mobo has a VGA connector unlike the video card. Still that's doesn't explains why it worked sometimes.

Yes it dose!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:18:26 AM

Anyway that would be the logical way to find the problem.
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:20:29 AM

I can't change the cable, it's joined to the monitor, and honestly, I don't think the adapter is the problem.

If the adapter was bad, then I just won't get the signal to my monitor from the video card (I'll get a black screen) but the computer still will recognize the card pluged in. That said, connecting the monitor back to the mobo won't get me any signal either, because the computer will be using the video card.

In my case, instead, I don't get signal from my video card obviously, but I do get from the on-board. On Windows Desktop, I get a message pop up from the Catalyst drivers saying that there is no ATI card connected. So I believe it's a problem from the mobo, only sometimes it recognizes the card.

Still I won't discard that option, and I'll try with another adapter if I can. Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot. Reading around I learned that when the mobo detects a problem on one of the parts (RAM, video card, whatever) it makes different "beep" sounds to tell you what's going on. In my case, however, it always make the same normal beeping no matter if it detects the card or not, or if there is no card connected. If the video card was bad, my mobo would tell me with a beeping.

So yeah, I believe the PCI slot is the faulty, and yeah, I'm kinda pissed about it because, as I said, it happened with no apparent reason at all. So probably I will spend money (which I don't have) to buy a new mobo and RAM to fix something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. It sucks :fou: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:31:01 AM

Sorry! went off in the wrong direction.
Back to the slot intermittently connecting with card!
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:45:10 AM

No prob.

Just to add something: this whole week I've been trying to get the card running, and the first five days I could: I just turned on the PC, left it idle an hour or so, and then I restarted and voilá, the video card was running and I was playing my games for a couple of hours. The next day I just repeat the process.

I still had no idea why it worked using that method but I didn't care, it just worked. Yesterday, however, was a different story, and even today I spent some hours trying to get it work but no luck. Maybe tomorrow I'll get lucky.

So it worked when the computer had a high temperature. How does that make sense? I don't know, lol.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:46:24 AM

az-fs said:
I can't change the cable, it's joined to the monitor, and honestly, I don't think the adapter is the problem.

If the adapter was bad, then I just won't get the signal to my monitor from the video card (I'll get a black screen) but the computer still will recognize the card pluged in. That said, connecting the monitor back to the mobo won't get me any signal either, because the computer will be using the video card.

In my case, instead, I don't get signal from my video card obviously, but I do get from the on-board. On Windows Desktop, I get a message pop up from the Catalyst drivers saying that there is no ATI card connected. So I believe it's a problem from the mobo, only sometimes it recognizes the card.

Still I won't discard that option, and I'll try with another adapter if I can. Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot. Reading around I learned that when the mobo detects a problem on one of the parts (RAM, video card, whatever) it makes different "beep" sounds to tell you what's going on. In my case, however, it always make the same normal beeping no matter if it detects the card or not, or if there is no card connected. If the video card was bad, my mobo would tell me with a beeping.

So yeah, I believe the PCI slot is the faulty, and yeah, I'm kinda pissed about it because, as I said, it happened with no apparent reason at all. So probably I will spend money (which I don't have) to buy a new mobo and RAM to fix something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. It sucks :fou: 

Yeah sorry we didn't come up with a less costly solution here!
Post back and let me know what you do!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 5:50:46 AM

az-fs said:
No prob.

Just to add something: this whole week I've been trying to get the card running, and the first five days I could: I just turned on the PC, left it idle an hour or so, and then I restarted and voilá, the video card was running and I was playing my games for a couple of hours. The next day I just repeat the process.

I still had no idea why it worked using that method but I didn't care, it just worked. Yesterday, however, was a different story, and even today I spent some hours trying to get it work but no luck. Maybe tomorrow I'll get lucky.

So it worked when the computer had a high temperature. How does that make sense? I don't know, lol.

I guess it's trying to tell you something. Good luck
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:07:52 AM

Yeah, maybe it's trying to say that it's tired and I should buy a replacement.

I should try to contact someone who can test both the card and the mobo, it's the only option I have left because at this point anything can be the problem and it seems impossible to figure it out without testing it with another computer. I'll also try using a different DVI adapter, just in case.

Thanks for all you time :D 
m
l
!