cordless gamepads

eastsider3

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002
i was reading toms review on the new logitech gamepads and i wnat a couple. i also want the logitech cordless keyboard and the mx700 cordless mouse.
now the main reason is cos i am getting an aiw 9700 and i am gonna connect my computer to my 60"inch tv in the lounge.
so thaan will i be able to use these cordless peripherals in my lounge? or will i have to move my whole tower to the lounge everytime i wanna play a game on the big tv?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Most wireless devices like mice, keyboards and probably these gamepads use infrared light as a means of communication. This is strictly "line of site" stuff... if the controllers can't see their hub nothing's going to happen.

You will have to at least put the hub for the game controllers with the television set.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

eastsider3

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002
what do you mean the hub?
i would have to move my whole computer(tower) to the lounge to play. right?
thats just pointless than, im not gonna get wireless stuff if im gonna be playing games at the desk anyway.
what about my aiw ati remote will i be able to use that to controll the tv, while leaving my computer in my room.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
OOPS... I should have checked the article more closely. I see these are RF devices. There will still be a hub device, but it will probably be hidden at the back of the computer. RF doesn't require "line of sight" like infrared does.

The stated range is "up to about 15 meters" which is about 50 feet. This might be reduced somewhat if there are metalic or electrick devices between the gamepad and it's receiver... Count on 10 meters.

Depending on your floorplan, you may well have to move the computer to the same room as the television set.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>