Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Amd cps needed for 6970

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 21, 2011 12:32:50 PM

Hello, I plan to buy a new computer for gaming and I'm wondering what would be the Lowest amd processor I need so that I do not bottle neck the Radeon 6970 I plan to get. I do not plan to do much if any overclocking of the card (GPU). I'm looking between the FX-4100, the FX-6100, and the 8150. I don't want to spend the extra money for a processor if it will not upgrade gaming performance.

More about : amd cps needed 6970

November 21, 2011 12:51:07 PM

MrVenism said:
Hello, I plan to buy a new computer for gaming and I'm wondering what would be the Lowest amd processor I need so that I do not bottle neck the Radeon 6970 I plan to get. I do not plan to do much if any overclocking of the card (GPU). I'm looking between the FX-4100, the FX-6100, and the 8150. I don't want to spend the extra money for a processor if it will not upgrade gaming performance.

You should really get an intel 2500k... It costs about the same as the 8150, it is faster, can overclock higher, is overall better for gaming, and it is damn stable. The AMD line is pretty much all crippled and would be able to cause bottlenecks even with a 30$ graphics card.
Trust me, go with intel and you'll not look back ;) 
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 12:52:42 PM

oh, and it also consumes less power (95w vs 125w) :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 102 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 21, 2011 12:54:37 PM

The FX series are not good for gaming if you want an AMD CPU then I suggest the highest clocked Phenom II x4 you can afford.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2011 1:51:45 PM

pogodrummer said:
You should really get an intel 2500k... It costs about the same as the 8150, it is faster, can overclock higher, is overall better for gaming, and it is damn stable. The AMD line is pretty much all crippled and would be able to cause bottlenecks even with a 30$ graphics card.
Trust me, go with intel and you'll not look back ;) 


?
What is this, %100 lies.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2011 1:55:07 PM

Yeah, go with a Phenom II.
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 5:37:55 PM

yummerzzz said:
?
What is this, %100 lies.

it was just to clarify that bulldozer can lock up on about anything, independently from the GFX.
I mean bulldozer is a 4x2core processor, and AMD somehow managed to screw the core management, and there are just too many reports of deathlocks and crashes because of this problem, especially with applications that constantly switch threads.
Yes, it's lies :p 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2011 6:40:28 PM

"cause a bottleneck with even a $30 graphics card"

No bottlenecks, so yes, it is lies.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2011 6:50:04 PM

I really love AMD, but you definitely better go with intel at this time. If you accept this then i5-2500K is the best choice for you.
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 9:28:26 PM

yummerzzz said:
"cause a bottleneck with even a $30 graphics card"

No bottlenecks, so yes, it is lies.

yah i'm sorry, i was just trying to explain myself
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 9:29:40 PM

MrVenism said:
Hello, I plan to buy a new computer for gaming and I'm wondering what would be the Lowest amd processor I need so that I do not bottle neck the Radeon 6970 I plan to get. I do not plan to do much if any overclocking of the card (GPU). I'm looking between the FX-4100, the FX-6100, and the 8150. I don't want to spend the extra money for a processor if it will not upgrade gaming performance.

This of course assuming you are building a new rig from scratch...
If you already have the motherboard, then i reccomend the phenom x6s, since those bulldozers haven't really proven to be reliable...
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 21, 2011 10:01:59 PM

Why would you want an 8 core processor for a gaming build? Four cores is more than enough for most games and will be for a few years but if you feel different get the i7-2600k.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 21, 2011 10:10:34 PM

Forget the Bulldozer it just reall isn't that great for gaming it's better as a server CPU. All you need is a four core processor if your going to be using this computer only for gaming. Right now computer games don't even make use of six or eight cores. Some don't even max out all four cores on a quad fore processor.
m
0
l
!