dell inspiron 1100 wont work with power adaptor.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 11:32:19 PM

ok I have this dell inspiron 1100 that will work with the battery but
not with the adaptor. i tried replacing the adaptor with a brand new
one but same problem nothing will light up. and wont even charge the
battery. i tried going into the bios and check the power supply and
it detects the adaptor but says its only 50w but i know its 90w. can
someone please help. thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 12:16:48 AM

dale1010dog wrote:
> ok I have this dell inspiron 1100 that will work with the battery but
> not with the adaptor. i tried replacing the adaptor with a brand new
> one but same problem nothing will light up. and wont even charge the
> battery. i tried going into the bios and check the power supply and
> it detects the adaptor but says its only 50w but i know its 90w. can
> someone please help. thanks.

The main fuse might have opened. This can sometimes be repaired with a
fast-acting Picofuse of the appropriate rating soldered over the
existing fuse terminals. Otherwise, it is a power supply board or
mainboard replacement, depending on the design.

August 18, 2005 3:55:31 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:32:19 +0000, dale1010dog wrote:

> ok I have this dell inspiron 1100 that will work with the battery but
> not with the adaptor. i tried replacing the adaptor with a brand new
> one but same problem nothing will light up. and wont even charge the
> battery. i tried going into the bios and check the power supply and
> it detects the adaptor but says its only 50w but i know its 90w. can
> someone please help. thanks.

Have you tried running it with the adaptor plugged in but with the battery
removed? A gimped battery can do funny things sometimes. If you're
positive that the adaptor is good and is 90W, this is the only thing I can
think of (other than: the ac you're plugging it into is screwed or the
good old standby: bad mainboard.) I've seen Dell notebooks complain about
low-wattage adaptors in the past, but never when they haven't indeed been
plugged into something not as strong as they need.

-dirk
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 10:32:02 PM

how do i tes this thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 10:32:03 PM

how do i test this thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 10:32:03 PM

i did some more checking and with the battery removed the lights on
front of the laptop keep blinking. when i put the battery in the
lights go out but no power. there is power to the laptop through the
adaptor but it seems like theres not enough like something is
restricting it

!