dell inspiron 1100 wont work with power adaptor.

ok I have this dell inspiron 1100 that will work with the battery but
not with the adaptor. i tried replacing the adaptor with a brand new
one but same problem nothing will light up. and wont even charge the
battery. i tried going into the bios and check the power supply and
it detects the adaptor but says its only 50w but i know its 90w. can
someone please help. thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about dell inspiron 1100 wont work power adaptor

    dale1010dog wrote:
    > ok I have this dell inspiron 1100 that will work with the battery but
    > not with the adaptor. i tried replacing the adaptor with a brand new
    > one but same problem nothing will light up. and wont even charge the
    > battery. i tried going into the bios and check the power supply and
    > it detects the adaptor but says its only 50w but i know its 90w. can
    > someone please help. thanks.

    The main fuse might have opened. This can sometimes be repaired with a
    fast-acting Picofuse of the appropriate rating soldered over the
    existing fuse terminals. Otherwise, it is a power supply board or
    mainboard replacement, depending on the design.

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:32:19 +0000, dale1010dog wrote:

    > ok I have this dell inspiron 1100 that will work with the battery but
    > not with the adaptor. i tried replacing the adaptor with a brand new
    > one but same problem nothing will light up. and wont even charge the
    > battery. i tried going into the bios and check the power supply and
    > it detects the adaptor but says its only 50w but i know its 90w. can
    > someone please help. thanks.

    Have you tried running it with the adaptor plugged in but with the battery
    removed? A gimped battery can do funny things sometimes. If you're
    positive that the adaptor is good and is 90W, this is the only thing I can
    think of (other than: the ac you're plugging it into is screwed or the
    good old standby: bad mainboard.) I've seen Dell notebooks complain about
    low-wattage adaptors in the past, but never when they haven't indeed been
    plugged into something not as strong as they need.

    -dirk

    how do i tes this thanks.

    how do i test this thanks.

    i did some more checking and with the battery removed the lights on
    front of the laptop keep blinking. when i put the battery in the
    lights go out but no power. there is power to the laptop through the
    adaptor but it seems like theres not enough like something is
    restricting it

    i did some more checking and with the battery removed the lights on
    front of the laptop keep blinking. when i put the battery in the
    lights go out but no power. there is power to the laptop through the
    adaptor but it seems like theres not enough like something is
    restricting it

Dell Inspiron Battery Power Laptops