SLOOOWWW Internet Download

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I have a wireless network that I setup and its has been going great for almost a year. We have the Wii, two laptops, the desktop, and the blu-ray player connected to it (Never more than two, maybe three devices at a time). Several days ago we were watching Netflix on the Wii when it kept having to buffer (About every minute). So I decided to reset the Wii's internet settings thinking that could be the problem. After doing this, none of my devices would connect, there was no internet access (according to Window's Infinite wisdom). After fiddling with it (Reseting, unlplugging, ect) I finally got all my devices up and running again. Thought it was fine untill I tried downloading the Starcraft II Demo and I was getting 30kbps. I assumed it was a really crappy day to download and Blizzard's servers were busy. But today I have been trying to download something from steam and I am getting 100 Kbps or less. When I downloaded from them before I would get 1-2 Mbps...

I used to get 1-3 Mbps, and netflix would stream HD (Which meant I was getting around 6ish Mbps or more). And im paying for 8 Mbps (Charter)....

Any advice would be great :).

Thanks Ahead :)

:hello:

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I just had another problem today...

Yes, I reset the router and unplugged everything... Nothing seems to have any effect, and it seems to be off and on. It was having troubles getting anything to constantly connect and even when the devices were connected everything was slow. But this afternoon when I came back home everything was fine. Downloading at 2-3 Megs again, and the Wii streams video like it did. Strange...

G

Common wisdom is that you should select a channel which works well in your environment (it's a physics thing). Then choose one which is 5 channels away from that used by the strongest neighbouring wifi networks.

Additionally, see if the MTU setting in the router can be be adjusted profitably -- the default is 1500 and should be lowered in increments of 100 and perhaps fine tuned in steps of 10. There's a program called TCPOptimizer which claims to help guide you, though I found it confusing.

Latest posts