Advice on buying new M/B and processor

jymarc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hi

I need to buy a new processor and M/B. My work is mainly browsing, converting video movies, and fooling around with photoshop. I am not a gamer.
I also have a Graphics card (Nvidia 9400 gt) that I will use for connecting 2x monitors.
I have an XP home version.

The choice is the following :

1. Asus Intel H67 (B3 Stepping) Socket LGA1155 ATX Motherboard (P8H67)
2. i7 2600 processor

Is it OK ? or should I go for i7 2600K ? I saw that lots of people are buying this processor mainly for overclocking, but
does it make sense for what I am doing ?

Thanks very much for your input.

Solution
No it doesn't. Quad and hex-core CPUs are nice, but if you don't need them for gaming or anything that requires heavy computing tasks, don't bother. Instead you can run the i3-2120 (which I just purchased) and be perfectly fine, it'll handle anything you can throw at it for not a lot of money. Spend a little bit more on the motherboard and get a P67 or Z68 with DDR-3 1600 RAM that'll support newer hardware when it comes along. With this setup you can always drop a new CPU in it if you feel it's not meeting your needs.

If you're going to be upgrading the CPU, you should take a look at upgrading the graphics card. You can get a GeForce 550 for like $130. It'll connect two monitors and you get an HDMI - output connector.

g-unit1111

Titan
No it doesn't. Quad and hex-core CPUs are nice, but if you don't need them for gaming or anything that requires heavy computing tasks, don't bother. Instead you can run the i3-2120 (which I just purchased) and be perfectly fine, it'll handle anything you can throw at it for not a lot of money. Spend a little bit more on the motherboard and get a P67 or Z68 with DDR-3 1600 RAM that'll support newer hardware when it comes along. With this setup you can always drop a new CPU in it if you feel it's not meeting your needs.

If you're going to be upgrading the CPU, you should take a look at upgrading the graphics card. You can get a GeForce 550 for like $130. It'll connect two monitors and you get an HDMI - output connector.

Solution

jymarc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks so much for the reply. I will follow your advice.

g-unit1111

Titan
No problem, I like the Z68 because it's so flexible. You can run dual, quad, or hex core CPUs on it, have plenty of room for SSD expansion, and have all the latest amenities on it.

You should also look at getting a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM disc, since it doesn't look like XP support will be around for much longer.

jymarc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I read through the whole review about 3x different Z68. An excellent review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4-asus-p8z68-v-pro-gigabyte-z68x-ud3h-b3,2939.html

I understand that it is a new generation of m/b consisting of the alienation of 2x chipsets for graphics and plenty of
other improvements. Considering that the price difference between P67 and Z68 is not that great, I guess I should go for it.

As far as the windows7 is concerned, I can put both OS on different partitions. XP will be supported until 2014 if
I am not mistaken.