Asrock Z77-EXTREME4-M Z77 HDD Installation Help

Hey guys :)

So I recently bought the Asrock Z77-EXTREME4-M Z77 motherboard, and a new CPU and ram. I thought I would have a go at installing it myself, but I don't think that was the best idea.

I managed to install everything, get it into my case and with everything correctly to what I believed. I started the computer up, and the motherboard was being read, and the HDD were being read correctly. it got past all the load up and got to the windows part, which stuffed up, saying there was hardware error. Fair enough. So I started fiddling around. I can't remember what I did exactly.

I decided to just re-install Windows 7, and just start fresh on one of my HDDs. After a couple times restarting, I noticed that the computer wasn't doing what it was doing at the start. It only started to read the motherboard, then the CD drive. Nothing else. I wasn't sure what happened, so I just ignored it and put the Windows 7 CD in.

I went to install it, and only one of the HDD's was found. Strange. So I took all the HDD's out, plugged them in outside of the case so I could manage the cords much easier. Oops, my mistake. None of the HDD's are now being read. I am absolutely stumped as to why this happened. Unless I have just missed an important cord, or something. But yeah :(

Oh, the CD drive works, but doesn't appear as connected in my motherboard interface either.

Thanks a heap for your help in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
7 answers Last reply
More about asrock extreme4 installation help
  1. Oh, and I have tried different cords and different ports. And should I use the Sata2 or Sata3?
  2. with your mb you have 4 sata 6g ports two are intel ports and two are a 3 party chipset.
    SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 (intel gray)
    sata 3_0a and 3_01a) (asmedia ports)
    dont use the asmedia unless your goingto run a raid array. also only use the 6g for ssd as there only two of them.
    you want to put your slower hd and dvd on the sata 2.0 ports (black)
    make sure in the bios the sata ports are set to achi mode.
    make sure you did not snap the data or power plugs.
  3. Alright, thanks :) I shall try that. Is there a Bios guide anywhere on this site? I am very new to computers :( hahah.

And which data could I have accidentally snapped?
  4. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4-M/?cat=Manual
    has your bios setting in it. there should also be a cd with the same info with the mb.
    on the back of the drives are two l connectors. the larger one is for power the smaller is the data cable. a lot of time people snap the sata ports off the back of the drives or mb.
  5. Sorry for the late reply. So should I have both of these L ports connected? because I actually only have cords for the smaller ones
  6. hehe the larger l is the power plug. your power supply should have a few of them if not you need a 4 pin molex to sata connectors.
    http://www.amazon.com/Molex-Power-Adapter-Cable-inches/dp/B000YJMB5Y
  7. Haha yeah, I eventually found them. They were a mission to get in with my hard drive casing as well. I have figured out the rest of the problem though :) Thanks a heap for your help :P I was embarrassed as hell when I realised that both L ports had cables :(
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Hard Drives ASrock