Can the ultra x4 850 be top mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danoboy2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hi Folks, will the ultra x 4 850 fit a top mounted case? I'm a bit out of touch with the various box configurations. I'm replacing a 500 w that came with my gateway, either H67 or P67, usb 2 and usb 3 and vaious other PCIe connections. I just want to be sure I have the juice for internal/ external expansion. Thanks....

Solution
For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6750 graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and with at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector is recommended.

The Radeon HD 6750 graphics card itself won't draw more than 114 Watts. Your local computer guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Even AMD's own System Requirements for the Radeon HD 6750 state "450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended". Note that it's 450 Watts for the whole system not just the graphics card. I think your local computer guy is just trying to sell you a new power supply that you just don't need.

The 500 Watt...

danoboy2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
ok thanks. I didn't want to commit on something that wouldn't fit. I know I have to keep the case size in mind though, so I'm looking for a compact yet 850-1000-ish W. Any other thoughts about PSU's before I buy would be great. ~Dan

With the power supply unit mounted in the top of the Gateway's case the mounting holes should already be in the proper location/orientation so that it forces the Ultra X4 850-Watt Modular Power Supply to be mounted with its large air intake fan facing the downward direction as it should.

What is the make and model of the components like the motherboard, CPU, graphics card(s), ..., etc.?

What is your power supply unit budget?

There are better quality power supplies available than the Ultra X4.

danoboy2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Gateway FX6860-UR20P, i7- 2600, quad core, 3.4GHz, 64 bit, chipset Intel H67 Express (I think), 8 GB DDR3-1333, SATA, Radeon HD 6750 1 GB, usb 3.0. Not sure if it's a Intel H or P, because one model has no USB 3.0 and mine does have (2) USB 3's. Not the best system, but better than my pentium 4, fully expanded, I've been limping along. I'm not a gamer, but want future expandability.

danoboy2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
It comes with 500 watts, but I was told by a local computer guy that the video card alone can draw 450 watts. Plus I added a blu ray burner and would like to add peripherals to usb 3.0 or more internals for 3.5 inch slots. That's why looking at 700+ watts. BUT, I'm no expert on all the newer components.

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6750 graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and with at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector is recommended.

The Radeon HD 6750 graphics card itself won't draw more than 114 Watts. Your local computer guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Even AMD's own System Requirements for the Radeon HD 6750 state "450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended". Note that it's 450 Watts for the whole system not just the graphics card. I think your local computer guy is just trying to sell you a new power supply that you just don't need.

The 500 Watt power supply that comes with the Gateway FX6860-UR20P should have no problem powering your system with a single Radeon HD 6750.

Solution

AMD's published specs for the Radeon HD 6750:
Maximum board Power – 114W
Idle Board Power – 20W

If $100 isn't a lot to you then I can't deny you some peace of mind. The same specs can be built for $700 no offense so you already overspent $200.

*Just some power usage notes: usb 3 only supports up to 4.5w through it. A bluray burner is about 7.5w. A hdd is less than 10w. Pcie is 75w max.

Status
Not open for further replies.