Asus P8Z77-M Pro Cooler problem !

I have the Asus P8Z77-M Pro and I have run into a problem mid buid - My cpu cooler comes with a backplate that goes on the back of the board to give it a more secure fitting but it won't fit as there is a metal plate already there on the back of the cpu socket - do I fit the cooler without the backplate ? Any help appreciated - Thank's.

Cooler is Silverstone NT06-e (shrowd reversed with 140mm fan mounted underside blowing upwards - I know this cooler has had bad review's, but that's because the dum dum reviewers mount it on a vertical mobo and it's not engineered to be used that way )
3 answers Last reply
More about asus p8z77 cooler problem
  1. Actually, you are suppose to remove the existing backplate and replace it with the new. The bad part of that is they use a very effective double-sided tape on the backplate which makes removal a royal pain but that is what is expected.
    I have had mixed success trying to use stock backplates with aftermarket coolers - sometimes it works well but that depends upon the size and threading of the hold down screws that come with the cooler - if you're real lucky, the screws will be the same size and thread as the existing backplate and it will not be designed so differently that it doesn't allow for good seating.
    I hope I made sense there...
  2. Hi, thank's for your reply, but the backplate thing that is already there is part of the LGA1155 socket - It's not something that has been stuck on as it's new - not sure if it's just this board or other LGA1155's that have it, but it'd be nice to know how other's get around this ? Thank's again.
  3. Just got a reply back from Silverstone tech department,

Many thanks for your request.

You have to install the back plate even if there is already a small metal plate on the mainboard.

Don’t ‘worry it works. We are using the same mainboard here for our testing system with NT06-E cooler.

So as far as I'm aware, I just put the NT06-e backplate over the small metal plate on the back of the board - I'll give it a go :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Cooling CPUs Motherboards