Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z77-M Pro Cooler problem !

Last response: in Motherboards
August 24, 2012 1:07:03 PM

I have the Asus P8Z77-M Pro and I have run into a problem mid buid - My cpu cooler comes with a backplate that goes on the back of the board to give it a more secure fitting but it won't fit as there is a metal plate already there on the back of the cpu socket - do I fit the cooler without the backplate ? Any help appreciated - Thank's.

Cooler is Silverstone NT06-e (shrowd reversed with 140mm fan mounted underside blowing upwards - I know this cooler has had bad review's, but that's because the dum dum reviewers mount it on a vertical mobo and it's not engineered to be used that way )
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
August 24, 2012 3:16:09 PM

Actually, you are suppose to remove the existing backplate and replace it with the new. The bad part of that is they use a very effective double-sided tape on the backplate which makes removal a royal pain but that is what is expected.
I have had mixed success trying to use stock backplates with aftermarket coolers - sometimes it works well but that depends upon the size and threading of the hold down screws that come with the cooler - if you're real lucky, the screws will be the same size and thread as the existing backplate and it will not be designed so differently that it doesn't allow for good seating.
I hope I made sense there...
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:49:43 PM

Hi, thank's for your reply, but the backplate thing that is already there is part of the LGA1155 socket - It's not something that has been stuck on as it's new - not sure if it's just this board or other LGA1155's that have it, but it'd be nice to know how other's get around this ? Thank's again.
m
l
August 24, 2012 7:12:46 PM

Just got a reply back from Silverstone tech department,

Many thanks for your request.

You have to install the back plate even if there is already a small metal plate on the mainboard.

Don’t ‘worry it works. We are using the same mainboard here for our testing system with NT06-E cooler.

So as far as I'm aware, I just put the NT06-e backplate over the small metal plate on the back of the board - I'll give it a go :) 
m
l
!