Sign in with
Your question

Can't install Display Driver for Radeon HD 6850 on 7 64bit

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2011 9:50:02 AM

Hello,

Now, I've had issues upgrading the old drivers from the original install. I took the time to uninstall all my old ATI Catalyst drivers in hopes of being able to install the update that was released... And now, I can't install my graphics card drivers AT ALL.

I've tried wiping my system and reinstalling a fresh OS and nothing.. I'm not exactly sure what else I can do. When Windows attempts to install the driver it fails due to a time out period. I'm unable to obtain JUST the display driver from the ATI website.. Any help is appreciated!
June 20, 2011 10:04:59 AM

Try updating it through Steam. It's how I do it and it never fails.
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:07:06 AM

Well steam was the original reason I discovered this update to my display drivers. It refused to install then but I personally didn't sweat it. It wasn't until the latest version of catalyst was released where I noticed the problem. I'm honestly at a loss. It refuses to install my driver period. They both know the card is there and it needs drivers.. but both Catalyst and windows can't install them at all. I have no clue as to why though.

Edit: And apparently now the card just isn't recognized at all due to the lack of drivers so steam can't bring up any update's either...
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2011 10:20:51 AM

Draunzor said:
Well steam was the original reason I discovered this update to my display drivers. It refused to install then but I personally didn't sweat it. It wasn't until the latest version of catalyst was released where I noticed the problem. I'm honestly at a loss. It refuses to install my driver period. They both know the card is there and it needs drivers.. but both Catalyst and windows can't install them at all. I have no clue as to why though.

Edit: And apparently now the card just isn't recognized at all due to the lack of drivers so steam can't bring up any update's either...

Strange, I had an issue with 6950's, would not install drivers at all no matter what. I re installed OS and they finally went on after 100000 times trying.

I see you have already tried reinstalling os. Maybe call your supplier and ask for tech support
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:30:11 AM

Can you try installing the new driver set through the Device Manager and Update Driver... method ?

If your gfx card manufacturer information is not in the .inf file that is included in the driver set or it is there but not recognized, then it may not be possible to install the drivers. In this case, it is wise to install the new driver set thru the Device Manager. Just click the Update Driver button and show the path to the driver .inf file.

Note: When you click the driver package you downloaded from AMD and click to install it, the driver package is first expanded to ATI or AMD\Support\(Name of the downloaded file)\ folder. In that folder, there is a folder named Package\Driver\Display. You should point to the Display folder.

I have updated my card's drivers this way several times. My card is Sapphire Radeon HD5770.

Hope this helps.
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:07:21 AM

Awesome, I appreciate your advice Suat. It seems to have worked! Thanks alot for the help guys!
m
l
June 20, 2011 1:28:29 PM

Make sure suat get's best answer. Everyone always forgets to do that.
m
l
June 28, 2011 12:23:44 AM

No best answer :( 
m
l
!