GHOST2002 No Work on XP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 4:18:45 PM

My old Ghost2002 works fine on all earlier versions of Windows,
but Just tried it on WINXP-PRO laptop, and it Just cant find
my Outboard EPP Port external cD burner. I wonder if there
is a later version that will do the imageing?????
I dont think comp/usa sells ACROIS imeager. Any tips will
be appreciated.
Kokomo Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
* Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
* Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

More about : ghost2002 work

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 8:39:59 PM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

> Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
> : My old Ghost2002 works fine on all earlier versions of Windows,
> : but Just tried it on WINXP-PRO laptop, and it Just cant find
> : my Outboard EPP Port external cD burner. I wonder if there
> : is a later version that will do the imageing?????
>
> Have you visited the Symantec website for support?
>
> : I dont think comp/usa sells ACROIS imeager. Any tips will
> : be appreciated.
>
> I bought Acronis True Image from NewEgg.com. Why not buy it online?
> Worked great for me.
>
> Andrew
> --
Andrew,
I am unable to up or download anything with me commodore128 (grin)!
I wonder if you consider Acronis superior to GHOST2002, and if so
why? Will ACRONIS create an image of WIN/XP/PRO to an outboard
backpack r/w unit? I will have to get a PC/USER download it
for me if it will, then have him put it on floppy and pay him for
me and mail it to me. Wonder what it costs.
Kokomo Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 8:53:51 PM

Tnx for your help, I went to the AcRONIS site and send them
an email asking if their software will work via usb2 port and
if it can handle WINXP/PRO with no problems. If so I will
try to order it on a FDD or CD via mail usps.
Kokomo Joe
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 9:20:15 PM

Joseph Fenn wrote:

> My old Ghost2002 works fine on all earlier versions of Windows,
> but Just tried it on WINXP-PRO laptop, and it Just cant find
> my Outboard EPP Port external cD burner. I wonder if there
> is a later version that will do the imageing?????
> I dont think comp/usa sells ACROIS imeager. Any tips will
> be appreciated.

First, it's "Acronis True Image," not "ACROIS imeager."

If you can't find it in stores, or online, it's available on Acronis'
website (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage).

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 2:25:46 AM

Barry wrote

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Barry Watzman wrote:

> A parallel port CD burner is going to be terribly slow.
>

> Andrew wrote:
>> Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
>> : My old Ghost2002 works fine on all earlier versions of Windows,
>> : but Just tried it on WINXP-PRO laptop, and it Just cant find
>> : my Outboard EPP Port external cD burner. I wonder if there
>> : is a later version that will do the imageing?????
>>
>> Have you visited the Symantec website for support?
>>
>> : I dont think comp/usa sells ACROIS imeager. Any tips will
>> : be appreciated.
>>
>> I bought Acronis True Image from NewEgg.com. Why not buy it online?
>> Worked great for me.
>>
>> Andrew
>> --
Yeah Barry its terribly slow but if it would work with XP I got time
yet, only 84 you know!!! If you figure how many hours you might
loose (even days) without an image of any kind then its a fantastic
time saver. I got a usb cable from backpack so tried to call their
support 800 nrs to ask them if its safe to try it on the NoteBook
HUB usb type 2? Im a little leary to try that as the HUB itself
is a powered type by an ac adapter. The backpack has its own
AC adapter (larger in size) so am afraid there might be a power
conflict between the hub and the backpack with both powered up.
Got no answers from any of the 800 nrs at backpack. Nrs no longer
in service (per the voice). The hub says dont over due it on
power consuming devices. (that is too many of them at one time).
Kokomo Joe
August 18, 2005 2:30:54 AM

Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
: My old Ghost2002 works fine on all earlier versions of Windows,
: but Just tried it on WINXP-PRO laptop, and it Just cant find
: my Outboard EPP Port external cD burner. I wonder if there
: is a later version that will do the imageing?????

Have you visited the Symantec website for support?

: I dont think comp/usa sells ACROIS imeager. Any tips will
: be appreciated.

I bought Acronis True Image from NewEgg.com. Why not buy it online?
Worked great for me.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Andrew wrote:
> Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
> : My old Ghost2002 works fine on all earlier versions of Windows,
> : but Just tried it on WINXP-PRO laptop, and it Just cant find
> : my Outboard EPP Port external cD burner. I wonder if there
> : is a later version that will do the imageing?????
>
> Have you visited the Symantec website for support?
>
> : I dont think comp/usa sells ACROIS imeager. Any tips will
> : be appreciated.
>
> I bought Acronis True Image from NewEgg.com. Why not buy it online?
> Worked great for me.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 2:41:54 PM

> "Joseph Fenn" <jfenn@lava.net> wrote in message
> news:p ine.BSI.4.61.0508171635430.9733@malasada.lava.net...
>>> --
>> Andrew,
>> I am unable to up or download anything with me commodore128 (grin)!
>> I wonder if you consider Acronis superior to GHOST2002, and if so
>> why? Will ACRONIS create an image of WIN/XP/PRO to an outboard
>> backpack r/w unit? I will have to get a PC/USER download it
>> for me if it will, then have him put it on floppy and pay him for
>> me and mail it to me. Wonder what it costs.
>> Kokomo Joe
>>

> The important issue is not whether the installed version supports you chosed
> backup device, but whether the bootable restore disks do. It's fine making
> a regular backup of your hard disk, but it's a complete waste of time if you
> cannot write it back to an otherwise blank hard disk.

I have never had any problem restoreing the images created with
Ghost. Just format the HDD, and preoceed with the "image to disk"
option and voila! its done in about 15 minutes. This WINXP/PRO however
is a new beast for me, and the GHOST bt disk cant even find or activate
the external backpack burner. Thats the problem.
Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 3:19:20 PM

"Joseph Fenn" <jfenn@lava.net> wrote in message
news:p ine.BSI.4.61.0508171635430.9733@malasada.lava.net...
> > --
> Andrew,
> I am unable to up or download anything with me commodore128 (grin)!
> I wonder if you consider Acronis superior to GHOST2002, and if so
> why? Will ACRONIS create an image of WIN/XP/PRO to an outboard
> backpack r/w unit? I will have to get a PC/USER download it
> for me if it will, then have him put it on floppy and pay him for
> me and mail it to me. Wonder what it costs.
> Kokomo Joe

The important issue is not whether the installed version supports you chosed
backup device, but whether the bootable restore disks do. It's fine making
a regular backup of your hard disk, but it's a complete waste of time if you
cannot write it back to an otherwise blank hard disk.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 3:24:03 PM

"Joseph Fenn" <jfenn@lava.net> wrote in message
news:p ine.BSI.4.61.0508171650550.9733@malasada.lava.net...

> Tnx for your help, I went to the AcRONIS site and send them
> an email asking if their software will work via usb2 port and
> if it can handle WINXP/PRO with no problems. If so I will
> try to order it on a FDD or CD via mail usps.
> Kokomo Joe

Acronis TrueImage does support USB2 (and the bootable restore media does as
well).

It works fine with Windows XP Home and Pro. In fact it seems to works with
just about any partition including the latest Linux offerings, and the
restore partition on my PC which is reported as an unrecognised partition by
other utilities.
August 19, 2005 2:50:40 AM

Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
: I have never had any problem restoreing the images created with
: Ghost. Just format the HDD, and preoceed with the "image to disk"
: option and voila! its done in about 15 minutes. This WINXP/PRO however
: is a new beast for me, and the GHOST bt disk cant even find or activate
: the external backpack burner. Thats the problem.
: Joe

I have no experience with Ghost - their newer versions must have this
feature also, but with Acronis True Image, I can boot a rescue CD to
restore my image. So I'm not even in Windows at that point, so don't
care if it's Windows 98, ME, XP, whatever. Of course, True Image or
Ghost would have to have drivers built-in for the external burner.
Don't know if it would work but I'm guessing it would.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

I'm a little confused. Have you used the Backpack with GHOST in the past in
the same manner you are now failing at - excepting WinXP? Or are you trying
XP AND Backpack as new items at the same time and failing? I had a backpack
a long time ago and seem to recall that it needed special drivers to be
loaded on boot. The GHOST documentation explains how to add legacy drivers
to your bootable GHOST disk if they are needed. Obviously - you cannot
depend on WinXP's ability to run the drive when running off the GHOST disk.
You may need to add drivers to make it work right.

Sounds to me like you're fighting two battles at once?

"Joseph Fenn" <jfenn@lava.net> wrote in message
news:p ine.BSI.4.61.0508181038300.18213@malasada.lava.net...

> > "Joseph Fenn" <jfenn@lava.net> wrote in message
> > news:p ine.BSI.4.61.0508171635430.9733@malasada.lava.net...
> >> Andrew,
> >> I am unable to up or download anything with me commodore128 (grin)!
> >> I wonder if you consider Acronis superior to GHOST2002, and if so
> >> why? Will ACRONIS create an image of WIN/XP/PRO to an outboard
> >> backpack r/w unit? I will have to get a PC/USER download it
> >> for me if it will, then have him put it on floppy and pay him for
> >> me and mail it to me. Wonder what it costs.
> >> Kokomo Joe
> >>

> > The important issue is not whether the installed version supports you
chosed
> > backup device, but whether the bootable restore disks do. It's fine
making
> > a regular backup of your hard disk, but it's a complete waste of time if
you
> > cannot write it back to an otherwise blank hard disk.
> >
> I have never had any problem restoreing the images created with
> Ghost. Just format the HDD, and preoceed with the "image to disk"
> option and voila! its done in about 15 minutes. This WINXP/PRO however
> is a new beast for me, and the GHOST bt disk cant even find or activate
> the external backpack burner. Thats the problem.
> Joe

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 9:52:55 PM

> I have no experience with Ghost - their newer versions must have this
> feature also, but with Acronis True Image, I can boot a rescue CD to
> restore my image. So I'm not even in Windows at that point, so don't
> care if it's Windows 98, ME, XP, whatever. Of course, True Image or
> Ghost would have to have drivers built-in for the external burner.
> Don't know if it would work but I'm guessing it would.
>
> Andrew
> --
Andrew,
I have been useing Ghost since its original version way back.
Then upgraded to GHOST PRO, then to Ghost2002. They maybe
have a sequel to Ghost2002 that can handle winxp/pro.
After installing GHOST on your machine it then permits you to
create a Floppy that has Ghost.PE and everything needed on the
Floppy to either store or restore an Image to just about any kind
of external device you have. Or you can create and restore your
C: Drive ty partioning it anc createing a partition on it as d:
then can save the image to D: if you wish or any other media.
Seems that Winxp/Pro however creates and error of some kind
so will have to work it out or find later version of GHOST.
Joe
!