Solved

High pitched noise

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2011 12:25:32 AM

I just put together this:

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz
ASUS P8Z68-M Pro LGA 1155
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W

which is incredibly great so far. When it is running it is extremely quiet. When it is NOT running, however, there is a high-pitched, albeit quiet, whistling noise coming from the machine. It is a noise somewhere in between ringing ears and an angry hearing aid...

What might be causing that and how would I go about fixing it?

More about : high pitched noise

August 23, 2011 3:06:48 AM

I have the CX500 V2 and a P8H67-M and I had the exact same problem, first I suspected the PSU but after I exchanged it the problem continues, I disconnected the videocard and still get the noise, so there you go, the only thing left that can make a sound when the computer is off is the motherboard. If you look at the power LED on the motherboard after you UNPLUG the computer, it slowly get weaker and goes out and is exactly synchronized with the noise, too bad I didn't manage to return the motherboard. Go see if you can get a replacement for the board, and tell me the results :D 
m
l
August 23, 2011 3:11:20 AM

Here's my solution: Unplug it when not using it. It should work. The noise may take a short time to go away, but if so, then it will only be a few seconds. If that doesn't work, I'm not quite sure, but it could be the monitor. Try unplugging that as well, unless you are SURE it's coming from the computer it self.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2011 3:12:07 AM

Oh and @ Meatymutawings GO Starcraft! lol. Just saying.
m
l
August 23, 2011 3:16:36 AM

my solution is just to flip the switch every time I power on and off, bit easier than unplugging :D 
m
l
August 23, 2011 4:17:30 AM

True. Does the same thing, only, with flipping the switch, current is still TRYING to flow through, so if flipping the switch does not do it unplug it. Though I agree. Flipping the switch is a solution, especially seeing as you actually do it XD.
m
l

Best solution

August 23, 2011 5:19:12 AM

a capacitor can make this kind of noise , and so can a lose wire

But Im going with capacitor .

Disconnect the psu from the rest of the machine and plug it in . If the noise is in the psu then RMA it

If its not then take out the graphics card , but connect everything else [ ie motherboard ] and if you get the noise RMA the motherboard

If its still not humming and you connect the graphics card and it starts then RMA the graphics card

If you get it all back together and its not making a noise you are very lucky and should by a lotto ticket
August 24, 2011 1:54:54 AM

Well, the noise, if it is a capacitor, will not damage anything, so there's no point in returning it, as long as you can live with the noise. The only thing that it will damage is your sanity, seeing as you will have to unplug whenever you aren't using it if you want the noise to go away.
m
l
August 24, 2011 2:14:13 AM

Outlander_04 said:

Disconnect the psu from the rest of the machine and plug it in . If the noise is in the psu then RMA it

If its not then take out the graphics card , but connect everything else [ ie motherboard ] and if you get the noise RMA the motherboard

If its still not humming and you connect the graphics card and it starts then RMA the graphics card

If you get it all back together and its not making a noise you are very lucky and should by a lotto ticket

I pulled everything off, including all i/o cables and it still buzzed. I then removed it from the case and placed it on the anti-static bag that it shipped in. Still buzzing. I'm going to try calling in tomorrow before work to see if customer service can think of anything.

If I have to send it back I would actually like to get a different board back. I originally wanted to get the full atx version but didn't think that the built-in bluetooth was worth the extra $50. Had I known that the full board also has an extra on-board 4-pin fan plug then I would have gotten it for sure.
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:33:42 AM

My solution= Sledge hammer.
m
l
August 25, 2011 4:36:08 AM

Update:

Since the board was defective they returned it with no fee so I was able to upgrade to the V with no additional charge. Hopefully that one will be quiet :) 

Thanks for the help
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:33:14 AM

Best answer selected by baiano.
m
l
!