Memory Stick Problems

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 6:29:41 AM

I am having problems with the 32meg Memory Sticks that I use in my CyberShot
camera. I have been downloading my pictures to my laptop using a Dazzle
Memory Stick reader (USB) and sometimes a 4 in 1 Multi Card Adapter (fits in
the laptop PCI slot). I have been using these Memory Stick readers for
about 2 years and all of a sudden, about three months ago, they both started
apparently wiping out the Memory Sticks I was using. I get an error code of
C:13:01, which my camera manual says indicates an unformatted or damaged
Memory Stick. Once I get this error message, I can't use the Memory Stick
in the camera or laptop. I have been through 4 Memory Sticks in the past
three months. I have a HP 245 Photosmart printer hooked up to my desktop at
home. It has slots for all memory media. I put one of the "bad" Memory
Sticks in it this weekend and lo and behold, it can read the files. Tried
all of the supposedly bad Memory Sticks and can read all of the files and
delete them. Put the Memory Sticks back in the camera and they work fine.
Put them back into the laptop memory adapters and come up with the same
problem, locking out the Memory Stick again. In other words, I get the
error when using the laptop memory adapters and can clear the problem with
the desktop/HP245 combination. This of course makes my portable photo
handling capability non functional. Do I have a bad Dazzle, 4 in 1 Multi
Card Adapter, something wrong with my laptop. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

More about : memory stick problems

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 8:01:58 AM

Thoughts from an unknowing individual..............but was something done to
the laptop recently?
Uploaded new files to the antivirus program or firewall program?
Did you try deleting or removing any devices/programs/whatever for the
reader and then reloading it?
Do you think you might have a virus on the laptop or some nasty spyware?
:-(

Are you only having the problem with the laptop and the reader that fits in
the pcmcia slot? Or also with the usb reader too?
What OS is on the laptop?
Did you plug the camera directly into the laptop? Of course installing the
necessary program first! <g>

desktop is fine?

curious since I also have a CyberShot camera, a couple of sticks and a USB
multireader.
--

later,
dave

"Bob & Nan" <doubleday@citlink.net> wrote in message
>I am having problems with the 32meg Memory Sticks that I use in my
>CyberShot camera. I have been downloading my pictures to my laptop using a
>Dazzle Memory Stick reader (USB) and sometimes a 4 in 1 Multi Card Adapter
>(fits in the laptop PCI slot). I have been using these Memory Stick
>readers for about 2 years and all of a sudden, about three months ago, they
>both started apparently wiping out the Memory Sticks I was using. I get an
>error code of C:13:01, which my camera manual says indicates an unformatted
>or damaged Memory Stick. Once I get this error message, I can't use the
>Memory Stick in the camera or laptop. I have been through 4 Memory Sticks
>in the past three months. I have a HP 245 Photosmart printer hooked up to
>my desktop at home. It has slots for all memory media. I put one of the
>"bad" Memory Sticks in it this weekend and lo and behold, it can read the
>files. Tried all of the supposedly bad Memory Sticks and can read all of
>the files and delete them. Put the Memory Sticks back in the camera and
>they work fine. Put them back into the laptop memory adapters and come up
>with the same problem, locking out the Memory Stick again. In other words,
>I get the error when using the laptop memory adapters and can clear the
>problem with the desktop/HP245 combination. This of course makes my
>portable photo handling capability non functional. Do I have a bad Dazzle,
>4 in 1 Multi Card Adapter, something wrong with my laptop. Any ideas would
>be appreciated.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 3:46:52 PM

Thanks for the response. Actually, I have two identical laptops and the
problem appears with both laptops when using either the Dazzle or 4 in 1
card adapter. And as I said, both used to work fine. I have installed no
new software on either. I don't use the one laptop on the Internet so can
eliminate virus and spyware. Again, the problem is with both the PCI card
and USB Dazzle reader. Using Windows XP on all the computers.When
connecting the camera directly to the computers it all works fine.

"Bob & Nan" <doubleday@citlink.net> wrote in message
>I am having problems with the 32meg Memory Sticks that I use in my
>CyberShot camera. I have been downloading my pictures to my laptop using a
>Dazzle Memory Stick reader (USB) and sometimes a 4 in 1 Multi Card Adapter
>(fits in the laptop PCI slot). I have been using these Memory Stick
>readers for about 2 years and all of a sudden, about three months ago, they
>both started apparently wiping out the Memory Sticks I was using. I get an
>error code of C:13:01, which my camera manual says indicates an unformatted
>or damaged Memory Stick. Once I get this error message, I can't use the
>Memory Stick in the camera or laptop. I have been through 4 Memory Sticks
>in the past three months. I have a HP 245 Photosmart printer hooked up to
>my desktop at home. It has slots for all memory media. I put one of the
>"bad" Memory Sticks in it this weekend and lo and behold, it can read the
>files. Tried all of the supposedly bad Memory Sticks and can read all of
>the files and delete them. Put the Memory Sticks back in the camera and
>they work fine. Put them back into the laptop memory adapters and come up
>with the same problem, locking out the Memory Stick again. In other words,
>I get the error when using the laptop memory adapters and can clear the
>problem with the desktop/HP245 combination. This of course makes my
>portable photo handling capability non functional. Do I have a bad Dazzle,
>4 in 1 Multi Card Adapter, something wrong with my laptop. Any ideas would
>be appreciated.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
March 28, 2005 11:19:01 PM

Thanks for the response. Actually, I have two identical laptops and the
problem appears with both laptops when using either the Dazzle or 4 in 1
card adapter. And as I said, both used to work fine. I have installed no
new software on either. I don't use the one laptop on the Internet so can
eliminate virus and spyware. Again, the problem is with both the PICK card

!