Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would this ram be faster?

Last response: in Memory
August 24, 2012 10:51:34 PM

Hello. This is my PC: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/Asp...

This is the info i have of my RAM: 1GB X 2 1.8V 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM DUAL CHANNEL Timings 5-5-5-18.

I wanted to upgrade my ram but i have vista 32 bit so apparently the max ram i can have is 3GB so i was wondering if this ram would be faster than my current ram: http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/sys/3205447916.html

Does anyone know if there would be a noticeable difference if i upgraded to this ram? And would it be compatible because it has different RAM timings? It seems pretty cheap 20 bucks and it's only 10 minute drive from where i live.

(NOTE: I AM NOT MIXING RAM I AM REPLACING IT)

More about : ram faster

August 24, 2012 10:54:48 PM

K K0 said:

This is the info i have of my RAM: 1GB X 2 1.8V 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM DUAL CHANNEL Timings 5-5-5-18.

if this ram would be faster than my current ram: Craig's List, oh LOL! %))

Timings are lower on that one...let me check about frequency...

...hm, frequency is the same, but since timings are lower it would be faster, yes...but not by much.

About Memory compatibility: you'd better NOT mix different Memory planks from different vendors.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 10:55:19 PM

You'd probably have a noticeable difference if it works, but mixing RAM kits is a tricky business and it might not work.
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 10:57:13 PM

blazorthon said:
You'd probably have a noticeable difference if it works, but mixing RAM kits is a tricky business and it might not work.

I won't be mixing RAM i will be replacing it. I will still have 2GB RAM i'm curious if i will see a increase in performance because the ram is higher quality.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 10:58:30 PM

K K0 said:
I won't be mixing RAM i will be replacing it. I will still have 2GB RAM i'm curious if i will see a increase in performance because the ram is higher quality.

RAM quality is fairly similar with those kits. The main difference would be the capacity, not the quality. Yes, I think that you'd see a noticeable improvement with it if it works. Windows Vista tends to work better with 2GB of memory than with 1GB.
m
l
August 24, 2012 10:59:01 PM

I suggest you upgrade to Windows 7 and get 2 x 2GB memory sticks - then you'll see a real performance increase
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:11:38 PM

dingo07 said:
I suggest you upgrade to Windows 7 and get 2 x 2GB memory sticks - then you'll see a real performance increase

It's too expensive. I also don't know if my computer can be upgraded to 64-bit because 32 bit windows 7 still limits the RAM.
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:12:41 PM

Windows 7 does come in 32 bit and 4GB RAM is the max for it - its the HOME version
64 bit Home allows up to 8GB RAM
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:13:49 PM

dingo07 said:
Windows 7 does come in 32 bit

I know.......
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:14:49 PM

dingo07 said:
Windows 7 does come in 32 bit and 4GB RAM is the max for it - its the HOME version
64 bit Home allows up to 8GB RAM

I'm saying 32-bit windows 7 still limits the RAM to around 3GB of usable memory.
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:19:06 PM

blazorthon said:
RAM quality is fairly similar with those kits. The main difference would be the capacity, not the quality. Yes, I think that you'd see a noticeable improvement with it if it works. Windows Vista tends to work better with 2GB of memory than with 1GB.

The capacity would still be the same. (1GB X 2)
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 11:21:29 PM

K K0 said:
The capacity would still be the same. (1GB X 2)

My mistake, I thought that you meant that you only had 1GB of memory. No, you probably won't see much difference in performance from that kit. It is not worth buying for you IMO.
August 24, 2012 11:22:13 PM

blazorthon said:
My mistake, I thought that you meant that you only had 1GB of memory. No, you probably won't see much difference in performance from that kit. It is not worth buying for you IMO.

Thank you!
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:22:56 PM

Best answer selected by K K0.
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:32:04 PM

All 32-bit Windows software is limited to 4GB of RAM. Yes, it tends to only show around 3-3.8GB useable, but that comes from the base-10/base-2 conversions, rounding, lazy RAM manufacturers, etc. If you wanted, you could get 4GB and see a more positive increase in performance because Vista is a memory hog.

Windows 7 comes with both 64 and 32-bit flavors in one package (unless you get screwed). There is no direct upgrade path from a 32-bit OS to 64-bit, so it would be a new install from scratch. Such an upgrade would then allow the maximum amount of RAM for the motherboard (8GB in this case), though the actual limit for the OS is a bit higher.

TL/DR - That kit should work just fine and offer a somewhat noticeable increase for only $20... 4GB would be better.
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:35:43 PM

tivatar said:
All 32-bit Windows software is limited to 4GB of RAM. Yes, it tends to only show around 3-3.8GB useable, but that comes from the base-10/base-2 conversions, rounding, lazy RAM manufacturers, etc. If you wanted, you could get 4GB and see a more positive increase in performance because Vista is a memory hog.

Windows 7 comes with both 64 and 32-bit flavors in one package (unless you get screwed). There is no direct upgrade path from a 32-bit OS to 64-bit, so it would be a new install from scratch. Such an upgrade would then allow the maximum amount of RAM for the motherboard (8GB in this case), though the actual limit for the OS is a bit higher.

TL/DR - That kit should work just fine and offer a somewhat noticeable increase for only $20... 4GB would be better.

Me and my bro have the same computers what do you think of my buying that 2GB kit and putting it his computer and using his ram which is the same as mine to get a total of 4GB without having to mix ram?
m
l
a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 11:44:35 PM

K K0 said:
Me and my bro have the same computers what do you think of my buying that 2GB kit and putting it his computer and using his ram which is the same as mine to get a total of 4GB without having to mix ram?

That could give a considerable performance increase when you use more than one and a half or so GB of RAM. Just make sure that your computer's motherboard is the quad DIMM supporting model. Your link said that some of the computers of your model number have dual-DIMM slot motherboards that can't have four memory modules.
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:46:32 PM

blazorthon said:
That could give a considerable performance increase when you use more than one and a half or so GB of RAM. Just make sure that your computer's motherboard is the quad DIMM supporting model. Your link said that some of the computers of your model number have dual-DIMM slot motherboards that can't have four memory modules.

Do you know how i can find that out? There is 4 slots but the two my ram are in are blue and the other two unused slots are yellow, Does that mean anything? Thanks.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 24, 2012 11:54:16 PM

K K0 said:
Do you know how i can find that out? There is 4 slots but the two my ram are in are blue and the other two unused slots are yellow, Does that mean anything? Thanks.

You already figured it out. Having four slots means that you can use four modules. Most motherboards with four slots have two sets of slots with different colors is simply the board being designed to tell you how the memory should be installed. If you have four identical modules, then don't worry about the different colors. It only matters if you're using two modules.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:03:45 AM

blazorthon said:
You already figured it out. Having four slots means that you can use four modules. Most motherboards with four slots have two sets of slots with different colors is simply the board being designed to tell you how the memory should be installed. If you have four identical modules, then don't worry about the different colors. It only matters if you're using two modules.

Thanks a lot!
m
l
a b } Memory
August 25, 2012 12:05:36 AM

Glad to help.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:08:03 AM

Color-coded for your convenience. Pairs of modules should always go into similar colored slots for the best performance, starting with slot 0.

Edit. Re-read OP.

Swapping out with your brothers would work fine.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:09:54 AM

tivatar said:
Color-coded for your convenience. Pairs of modules should always go into similar colored slots for the best performance, starting with slot 0.

The RAM swap is confusing me a little. Identical computers with 2x512MB each, removing 2x512MB on one and replacing with 2x1GB, and reinstalling 2x512MB on the other for 4x512MB (2GB)... 4GB divided between the two? Sure, but I would call that being nice to your brother for the free upgrade. There wouldn't be a way to get 4GB into 1 machine unless you were both using single 1GB modules (which we now know you aren't) and you stole his.

I honestly have NO idea what you're going on about, Please re-read everything you previously read.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:11:07 AM

Fixed. Sorry mate. Read over the 1GB "x 2" bit at the top.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:14:49 AM

tivatar said:
Fixed. Sorry mate. Read over the 1GB "x 2" bit at the top.

Thanks XD
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:25:24 AM

blazorthon said:

One more question :s Because my ram slots are color coded for if im using different dual channel kits could i use the ram i am currently using (in the blue slots) and then instal the OCZ ram in the yellow slots? Or would i still be better off not mixing ram in the first place?
m
l
a b } Memory
August 25, 2012 12:27:39 AM

K K0 said:
One more question :s Because my ram slots are color coded for if im using different dual channel kits could i use the ram i am currently using (in the blue slots) and then instal the OCZ ram in the yellow slots? Or would i still be better off not mixing ram in the first place?

Don't mix the kits. They have slightly different specifications and are probably not going to work together because of that.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:32:29 AM

blazorthon said:
Don't mix the kits. They have slightly different specifications and are probably not going to work together because of that.

Then what are the color coded dual channels for? XD
m
l
a b } Memory
August 25, 2012 12:36:08 AM

K K0 said:
Then what are the color coded dual channels for? XD

They are for using four RAM modules with the same specifications, not two different kits.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:57:45 AM

blazorthon said:

So long as the manufacturer, model number, timings, voltage etc. match, there shouldn't be any problems mixing modules from two identical Acer boxes. Hopefully the little white labels are still attached. They probably weren't from a "kit" when Acer installed everything anyway. They won't be optimized like a brand newer upgrade kit, but they should *run* together just fine. This is older DDR-2 we're talking about, after all... I've had plenty-a-machine with frankensteined RAM running like a boss.

(proofread this time... promise)
m
l
a b } Memory
August 25, 2012 1:18:00 AM

tivatar said:
So long as the manufacturer, model number, timings, voltage etc. match, there shouldn't be any problems mixing modules from two identical Acer boxes. Hopefully the little white labels are still attached. They probably weren't from a "kit" when Acer installed everything anyway. They won't be optimized like a brand newer upgrade kit, but they should *run* together just fine. This is older DDR-2 we're talking about, after all... I've had plenty-a-machine with frankensteined RAM running like a boss.

(proofread this time... promise)

The timings don't match between the old modules and the kit that OP is looking at. I said not to mix them, not that OP shouldn't use the modules from the other machine.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:26:59 AM

Cheers
m
l
!