Sign in with
Your question

Gaming system - feedback?

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2011 7:28:50 AM

So i have decided to upgrade my config and i would like to get some second opinions about my choices. I use my comp for alot of video processing as well as gaming (sc2 as well as first person shooter).

I know this is alot to ingest. I would really appreciate any feedback that you guys could give or suggestions on what I could be missing:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Some issues that concern me
1. MOBO: my main concerns are compatibility (with win7 and sc2 of course), longevity, and upgradibility (spelling?). I could easily see myself investing in a second or third GPU to take advantage of SLI in a year or so. I am not up to speed as far as the specs go (single @x16, dual @x8 x8, triple @x16, x8, x8?). would an SLI config at dual x8s be a big step down compared to dual x16s?
2. MOBO: Is an asus mobo the way to go? I have read some DOA feedback on newegg with regard to some asus models like the maximus iv. Of course i've read the same stuff for other manufacturers. As an alternative i'm considering a gigabyte model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but it seems to have a lot of physical obstruction to the PCIE slots (that worries me). Just want to make sure that the asus isn't a bad decision as far as the next-gen intel CPUs are concerned. Are there better mobo options i'm not considering?
3. GPU: Am i boxing myself in with the intel chipset or am I free to pursue a radeon HD option should the mood strike me? Never tried to mix an intel chipset with any graphics other than nvidia.
4. PSU: Is 750W sufficient? I'm sure its good enough for the system as listed but considering if I would add a second or third GPU down the road...
5. CASE: Should I invest in additional cooling (i've seen some reasonable liquid cooling systems http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) on top of what the case provides or would that just be massive overkill and unneccessary complexity?

More about : gaming system feedback

August 23, 2011 8:43:25 AM

6. MOBO: One more issue is which chipset is best from a performance standpoint with the i7 Sandy Bridge. I am really interested in going triple SLI and the only mobo i've seen that can support it in true 3@x16 PCIe is the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution with the x58 chipset. Is it better to go that route or settle for dual SLI on a newer z68 board?
August 23, 2011 9:22:33 AM

welcome to the forums newcomer!

1| mobo; that mobo has x16 slots...but they are x16 on single, x8/x8 on dual and the black slot is x4 so the third slot is good for dropping in a physx card
2| asus's stuff have been getting great reviews from critics from their GPU's and mobo's as well as their monitors...warranty is great regarding RMA and they do have an occasional oddballed units...who doesn't? as long as you're not picking up an open box mobo then the unit may not be a DOA situation, rather go ahead and RMA it.
3| realx, the gpu isn;t confined to the socket interms of compatibility, you choose any make or model with an intel cpu...just don''t mix and match an nvdia and amd card...as this mobo is not equipped with a lucid bydra 200 chip.
4| more than enough, you can even sli 2x570's with that unit...but just to give you cionfidence, look over at extremepowercalculator...google it...punch in the numbers and wait for the results.
5| depends on what budget you hvae, if i were you I'd get a corsair 600T white ed. or a HAF 932 case
6| x58's are long for an overhaul...they are not the choice to get unless they are sold for $2 on ebay...which is silly. Z68 has the advantage of OC'ing both the iGPU and the CPU. You can also take advantage of the iGPU when you're not doing intense gaming sessions, previously known as 2D apps.

you could look the P67 if not the Z68 but I'm sure when you don'd have a discrete GPU, you'd like to use the iGPU :) 

Edit; if you have a bucket load of cash; then pick this up http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...
Related resources
August 23, 2011 10:50:54 AM

Thank you so much for the feedback! Very helpful because I hate when i get hung up on what is actually trivial stuff (like mixing chipset and gpu manufacturers). I will probably take your advice as far as the case and mobo are concerned.
August 23, 2011 11:12:12 AM

The difference between dual 16x and dual x8 is minimal. I wouldn't even worry about it. Do you really need the i7. An over clocked i5 2500k can get some pretty nice benchmark results. Also I've been a long time nvidia lover. But recently dumped 2 6950s in xfire in my rig and I don't think I'll be visiting nvidia again for a while. Those things rock.
August 23, 2011 10:12:56 PM

No i certainly don't need the i7 but the price difference between that and the i5 is something like 80 bucks so i figure why not? I also was a big nvidia fan about 5-10 years ago and then switched to the ati radeon hd series and loved it...only reason I am contemplating going back to nvidia now is because i am trying to assemble a top notch gaming machine and the gtx series appear to own the high-end market right now. But the ati config you have will certainly last you, as i hope my gtx config will for me.

Also i am really into starcraft 2 and i've gotten the impression of somewhat absent support for the high-end radeon hd 6xxx series of cards for that game like the 6950. I may be way off here, but sc2 benchmark tests don't even bother giving results for that kind of card. Users document better performance in sc2 with a relatively lower end model like the 6870. Since I am looking for top line graphics right now, i decided to go with gtx because that is well supported for this game.
August 23, 2011 10:21:56 PM

^ you wanna know something, I finished SC2 with an 8600GT DDR3 Fatal1ty passive cooled edition and I will agree with the lower end cards giving better outputs.
August 23, 2011 11:18:33 PM

It's ashame. Same thing is true for ppl with high-end Xfire and sli configs. They spend all the effort and money on great gaming systems and sc2 doesn't even support the hardware setup. Some ppl have gotten it to work, but indications are that running with multiple gpu's actually reduces performance on sc2. But in blizzard's defense, the RTS genre has never really seen that level of high-end performance dependance, so ppl shouldn't start to expect it now.
August 24, 2011 1:05:14 AM

rsg169 said:
It's ashame. Same thing is true for ppl with high-end Xfire and sli configs. They spend all the effort and money on great gaming systems and sc2 doesn't even support the hardware setup. Some ppl have gotten it to work, but indications are that running with multiple gpu's actually reduces performance on sc2. But in blizzard's defense, the RTS genre has never really seen that level of high-end performance dependance, so ppl shouldn't start to expect it now.

I run a 1090T and 5770's in crossfire at 1920x1200 on extreme with no problems
August 24, 2011 4:51:25 AM

Quote:
ppl with high-end Xfire

your 5770 is mid range so crossfiring them is equal to...:p 
!