Crossfired 5770's problem

Brett_37

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Looked all over the internet and couldnt find anything related.

I bought two HIS 5770's and crossfired them, but my problem is that the bottem cards fan blades are getting hanged up on the top card screws on the back of the card. This makes it so the bottems fans dont spin at all. I took a dremal and made little slots in the fan blades so they spin but now, after a year of running it, my bottem card is once again being hung up on the screws. How do I fix this or can ??

Solution
Your motherboard seems to be only CrossFire ready for single slot width graphics cards. A properly designed motherboard would leave at least one slot width or more between the two double slot width cards to ensure that the graphics cards get a sufficient amount of cooling air.

You can always sell your current motherboard and get one that's properly designed.
YOu might be able to wedge in a non-conductive piece of plastic/cardboard of the neessary width to separate the cards a few more millimeters or so...

YOu also might be able to remove the offending screws, and find some with identical thread pattern/size, but that are flush mount designed as opposed to a rounded top design....

Brett_37

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I used non-conductive electrical tubing but as much as i separate the cards they will still hit each other. I got them like a quarter of an inch apart but im afraid if i bend them any farther they (or my mobo) will be damaged. Seems very odd to be that a crossfire ready motherboard and cards would have this problem.

Your motherboard seems to be only CrossFire ready for single slot width graphics cards. A properly designed motherboard would leave at least one slot width or more between the two double slot width cards to ensure that the graphics cards get a sufficient amount of cooling air.

You can always sell your current motherboard and get one that's properly designed.

Solution