Sign in with
Your question

Which case/PSU do I need?

Last response: in Components
November 22, 2011 12:20:35 AM

Hi. I am working on my first build. So far I have -

-Corsair XMS3 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1333MHz
-Intel® BOXDP67BAB3 LGA 1155 Intel® P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel® Motherboard
-Intel i5
-NVIDIA GeForce 440
-Seagate 1TB Serial ATA/300 Hard Drive - Retail Kit- ST1000340AS-RK
-Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Now I believe all I need is a case. The case needs to have a PSU. Any recommendations? How much watts would I need on my PSU..I calculated it and it came out to be around 240 Watts but I am pretty sure I messed up..Can someone please calculate and tell me what they get? And what do you think of this build? Is it all going to work together you think?

Also will I be needing any additional cooling? I will be using this computer for moderate gaming

More about : case psu

a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2011 12:35:04 AM

your calculation is spot on, the Geforce 440 hardly draws any power

look for a PSU like the antec earthwatt 380w, antec eno eco 400w, corsair cx430 v2. all are solid budget PSU.

a case like the cm 912 or antec 300 are two budget case options
m
l
November 22, 2011 12:53:57 AM

Ok I have been looking at all the PSU you have recommended and all of them say 20+4 pin. The intel motherboard above as I looked up on newegg says has a 24 pin connector. Is that the same thing as 20 + 4 pin? Would they work? Also is the PSU going to be an easy install to the case?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2011 1:23:01 AM

a 20+4 pin plug has a break away 4 pin connector so it can work with both 20pin and 24pin motherboards. So any of those will work and yes they are easy to install, plenty of how to videos on youtube.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2011 4:17:19 PM

Others have suggested setups like sosofm.

That being said, I wanted to stress that you should not get a case with a built in PSU. I haven't heard of a single case that comes with a built in PSU where the PSU is not worthless.

Maybe there is a case+PSU where the PSU isn't worthless, but I haven't heard about it.

Buy them separately.

PSUs are not hard to install at all. 4 screws and that is it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2011 5:43:54 PM

Raiddinn said:
Others have suggested setups like sosofm.

That being said, I wanted to stress that you should not get a case with a built in PSU. I haven't heard of a single case that comes with a built in PSU where the PSU is not worthless.

Maybe there is a case+PSU where the PSU isn't worthless, but I haven't heard about it.

Buy them separately.

PSUs are not hard to install at all. 4 screws and that is it.

antec has some cases that come with the neo-eco (based of a seasonic platform) & earthwatt series (delta platform). Both series are solid PSU and well reviewed as such.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 23, 2011 4:19:32 AM

I suppose those are probably good enough PSUs.

Still, as a rule of thumb I would try to avoid cases with PSUs in them.
m
l
!