Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU and Motherboard compatibility? (Upgrade to Ivy Bridge)

Last response: in CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2011 3:23:57 AM

So I'm looking to build a system to be upgradeable to Ivy Bridge. After some research, I've decided to get the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard and the Intel Xeon E3-1230. I know the Xeon is a sever CPU, but people have left comments (on Newegg) saying they're compatible in desktops as well. So my question is are these components actually compatible? Do I NEED to have ECC RAM, or can I just use regular desktop RAM? Btw I choose this over the i5-2500k because this has Hyper-Threading, which I will be able to utilize. But since I'll only be using this CPU for a little while, is it worth the risk?
a c 127 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2011 3:30:50 AM

Here is your mobos decisions CPU support list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

It does show support for the Xeon E3-1220 but not the E3-1230.

No you don't need ECC RAM. Thats only for servers themselevs and of course server mobos.

Honestly you should just go for the 2600K. It has HT as well and is supported by that mobo. Pretty much no difference apart from the higher clock speed of the 2600K. But if you plan to drop in IB, then it may be a waste to buy anything at all and just wait for it and a Z78 mobo.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2011 3:42:29 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Here is your mobos decisions CPU support list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

It does show support for the Xeon E3-1220 but not the E3-1230.

No you don't need ECC RAM. Thats only for servers themselevs and of course server mobos.

Honestly you should just go for the 2600K. It has HT as well and is supported by that mobo. Pretty much no difference apart from the higher clock speed of the 2600K. But if you plan to drop in IB, then it may be a waste to buy anything at all and just wait for it and a Z78 mobo.

Thanks for the link. I'm pretty confident I want to get Ivy Bridge somehow. However, I wanted to buy everything during Black Friday because I know I can everything for a LOT cheaper. I'm kinda stuck right now because if Ivy Bridge isn't that much of a performance upgrade from Sandy Bridge, then I've basically wasted a lot of money. So what do you think I should do? Should I stay with Sandy Bridge, wait for Ivy Bridge, or do the upgrade?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 22, 2011 3:56:00 AM

i would really advise going for the 2600k as the above poster said. it performs above all but the high end video editors needs, is reasonably priced and will fit the motherboard you have decided on (a nice choice imo) the k version is also a good overclocker if you are in to that sort of thing. the gen3 and 2600k is actually what im ordering in the next few weeks in the same situation as you with the ivy bridge on the horizon
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2011 4:09:32 AM

dummos said:
i would really advise going for the 2600k as the above poster said. it performs above all but the high end video editors needs, is reasonably priced and will fit the motherboard you have decided on (a nice choice imo) the k version is also a good overclocker if you are in to that sort of thing. the gen3 and 2600k is actually what im ordering in the next few weeks in the same situation as you with the ivy bridge on the horizon

Thanks for your input. So tell me what you think about this: I get the gen3 motherboard and the 2600k now. I wait and see if Ivy Bridge is worth the upgrade. If it's noticeable difference, then I go for it. If not, then I stay with the 2600k. Does that sound like a good plan?
Score
November 22, 2011 4:12:36 AM

yes that's what im doing. the 2600k is powerful enough to see out my gaming and general use needs for quite a while if the ivy brige turns out to be a lemon long enough to wait and see what happens with the 2011 socket for my next motherboard
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2011 4:33:55 AM

dummos said:
yes that's what im doing. the 2600k is powerful enough to see out my gaming and general use needs for quite a while if the ivy brige turns out to be a lemon long enough to wait and see what happens with the 2011 socket for my next motherboard

Awesome thanks for your help :) 
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2011 4:34:17 AM

Best answer selected by YouGotJaked.
Score
!