[Advanced Question] Dual Channel vs. Quad Channel RAM

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Quad
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
August 25, 2012 4:44:01 AM

Hi guys.

I wanted to ask a quick question but I know it's gonna lead to massive answers, which is fine but try keeping the answers understandable for a guy who doesn't know much about overclocking.

I'm building a system of Asus x79 MOBO, i7 3930K and Corsair 32GB Quad Channel RAM. I already checked, the MOBO supports quad channel, the CPU is one of the only 2 actually that support quad channel RAM (the second model is the 3820) and what I want to know basically, is it worth the quad channel or not?

What I mean is, I can get an i5 3570K and a simpler MOBO that could save me big money but that setup won't support the quad channel arch. that the memory have.
So is it worth it? Should I get the i7 setup or should I stick to the basics?

I know the i7 setup will give me much more speed and whatnot but I just want to know is there gonna be a HUGE difference between having a dual channel, which I assume what the RAM will use in the i5 setup, and a quad channel. If you can really overlook the fact that the 2 setups have different CPUs and just focus on the dual vs quad channel that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

More about : advanced question dual channel quad channel ram

a b } Memory
August 25, 2012 5:19:02 AM

XYMan said:
Hi guys.

I wanted to ask a quick question but I know it's gonna lead to massive answers, which is fine but try keeping the answers understandable for a guy who doesn't know much about overclocking.

I'm building a system of Asus x79 MOBO, i7 3930K and Corsair 32GB Quad Channel RAM. I already checked, the MOBO supports quad channel, the CPU is one of the only 2 actually that support quad channel RAM (the second model is the 3820) and what I want to know basically, is it worth the quad channel or not?

What I mean is, I can get an i5 3570K and a simpler MOBO that could save me big money but that setup won't support the quad channel arch. that the memory have.
So is it worth it? Should I get the i7 setup or should I stick to the basics?

I know the i7 setup will give me much more speed and whatnot but I just want to know is there gonna be a HUGE difference between having a dual channel, which I assume what the RAM will use in the i5 setup, and a quad channel. If you can really overlook the fact that the 2 setups have different CPUs and just focus on the dual vs quad channel that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you are doing video editing often the 3950k is the way to go as it has 6cores but the core multiply themselves ti give you 12cores!

The i5 is primarily meant for gaming and light video editing, it has 4 core but it cant multiply itself like the i7.

The i7 ivybridge(eg.3770k,3770) have 4 cores and multiplies itself to 8cores, this is called hyperthreading.

Between quad and dual channel, if you are buying 3930k buy quad channel ram but if you are buying 3570k or 3770k(ivybridge) get dual channel ram as Socket LGA1155 DOES NOT support quad channel ram.

And, Yes there will be a difference in performance between quad channel and dual channel.
m
l
August 25, 2012 5:35:13 AM

timarp000 said:
If you are doing video editing often the 3950k is the way to go as it has 6cores but the core multiply themselves ti give you 12cores!

The i5 is primarily meant for gaming and light video editing, it has 4 core but it cant multiply itself like the i7.

The i7 ivybridge(eg.3770k,3770) have 4 cores and multiplies itself to 8cores, this is called hyperthreading.

Between quad and dual channel, if you are buying 3930k buy quad channel ram but if you are buying 3570k or 3770k(ivybridge) get dual channel ram as Socket LGA1155 DOES NOT support quad channel ram.

And, Yes there will be a difference in performance between quad channel and dual channel.

Thanks for the reply. I gotta say, 3950K doesn't even exist in any of the Israeli stores (meaning I live in Israel). I do realize the i5's are meant for gaming, but getting an i7 just for the purpose of 3D rendering is utterly useless. 3D rendering require Xeon CPUs with Quadro GPUs in order to see much difference between the models. All the iX CPUs series isn't really meant for video editing in the first place. My point is, I don't really have that much money to get that so I'm resorting to the less expensive one with moderate power. I do realize the 1155 doesn't support quad channel that is why I mentioned I'm picking the 3930K which is one of the only 2 CPUs that I can actually buy which support quad channel.

But do you really think it's worth getting the 3930K over the 3570K JUST FOR THE PURPOSE OF QUAD CHANNEL AND NOTHING ELSE?

Thanks.
m
l