Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Allocate More Memory to Onboard Video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2011 7:24:27 PM

Is there any way to allocate more system memory to my onboard video? I currently use 3 monitors. 25" as main, 19" as secondary, and sometimes my 50" plasma. I have my 25" and my plasma connected to my Radeon HD 6870. My 19" is using onboard video and I want to add another monitor to my setup using onboard video so I won't have to buy a some special adapter just to hook up a third monitor to my Radeon. Any suggestions on how to do this would be great. My mainboard is a:

EVGA 113-M2-E113 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 730a HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

To sum up: I just want to make sure my onboard video chipset will have enough resources for two 19" monitors.

I have 8gb memory installed.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
June 20, 2011 8:56:41 PM

Does that actually work? Do you have it running already?

I think there is a BIOS setting for allocating more memory. Check your motherboard manual.
Score
June 20, 2011 9:11:06 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
Does that actually work? Do you have it running already?

I think there is a BIOS setting for allocating more memory. Check your motherboard manual.

Sure does. You just have to set the bios to always enable the on-board video. I was actually hoping for a way to allocate more memory than what can be set in the BIOS. I should have been more clear. Sorry about that.
Score
Related resources
June 20, 2011 9:23:10 PM

As far as I'm aware, BIOS is the only place you can set how much RAM to allocate to onboard graphics chip. How much RAM can you allocate right now?
Score
June 20, 2011 9:31:18 PM

arson94 said:
As far as I'm aware, BIOS is the only place you can set how much RAM to allocate to onboard graphics chip. How much RAM can you allocate right now?

Directly from the manual:

Frame Buffer Size

When you set the iGPU Frame Buffer Control item to [Manual] then allows
you to set frame buffer size for onboard GPU. The options are 16M, 32M,
64M, 128M, 256M, 512M and Disabled. If you install a Hybrid SLI card, the
options are 256M and 512M.

So basically, I'm wanting to get it above 512. I take it there is no possible way to do that?
Score
June 20, 2011 9:38:41 PM

Just making it known that I've already set it to 512.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
June 20, 2011 9:53:02 PM

I am impressed that your onboard nvidia gpu can run alonside the HD6870.

I kind of doubt that there's a way around the 512M limit set by BIOS. :( 
Score
June 20, 2011 10:03:29 PM

I'm impressed as well. Never really thought about trying to do that. But it's cool to knw that you can lol. Yea, I think the BIOS parameters are your only choice. If there's a way around it, I surely don't know it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 10:07:10 PM

it does not matter how much memory the onboard video has it doesnt work that way at all (past about ~32mb anyhow) - you will see a negative benifit as more system resources are drawn away from the system to an IGP that CANNOT use even that 512mb you have given it

second, doesnt matter about screen size its the resolution - iv had a 42" LG that wants to display at 1024x768 (15'' PC screen standard)

if your running windows vista/7 set that shared memory size to 128 or 256 tops (aero uses it), if its xp lower it to 64 or 128 your seriously do not need all that memory wasted

if you need all the displays look into an eyefinity edition card or something similar

i would also check to see if your onboard video is actually stealing PCIe lanes away from your actual video card...
Score
June 20, 2011 11:30:24 PM

apache_lives said:
it does not matter how much memory the onboard video has it doesnt work that way at all (past about ~32mb anyhow) - you will see a negative benifit as more system resources are drawn away from the system to an IGP that CANNOT use even that 512mb you have given it

second, doesnt matter about screen size its the resolution - iv had a 42" LG that wants to display at 1024x768 (15'' PC screen standard)

if your running windows vista/7 set that shared memory size to 128 or 256 tops (aero uses it), if its xp lower it to 64 or 128 your seriously do not need all that memory wasted

if you need all the displays look into an eyefinity edition card or something similar

i would also check to see if your onboard video is actually stealing PCIe lanes away from your actual video card...

Could you possibly clarify this for me or point me to some documentation that I can look at. Not that I don't believe you. I would just like to know why. Because based on what you are saying, it really makes no sense for 512 to even be an option. Also, how can I tell if my on-board video is taking PCIe lanes away from my card?
Score
June 21, 2011 12:01:00 AM

Yes, I'm curious as well. Those statements aren't something I've heard or seen before.
Score
!