Most current video card supported by Dell XPS 720

I have a Dell XPS 720 (ca. 2007) with a 768MB GeForce 8800GTX that is quickly giving up the ghost. It was gradual at first, happening only occasionally, but now the PC won't run in Windows for more than a few minutes before bsod'ing me. Even before Windows loads the screen is sometimes messed up.

Anyway, rather than spend a ton of time troubleshooting I think 3 1/2 years is plenty justification for a new video card (if not an entirely new PC).

I would like to know if the XPS 720 supports better and newer cards than the 8800GTX? Dell was of no help answering this question when I contacted them (granted, I AM 2 years past the service agreement).

Could someone tell me the beefiest single card my PC will support? I prefer nVidia but ATI has treated me well in the past also.

Thanks for any advice!
1 answer Last reply
More about most current video card supported dell
  1. I've found some posts on other forums that seem to suggest even the GTX 480 running on an XPS 720 (with a 1000W ps) - other posts state with more confidence that the XPX 720 will run a GTX 285 without a problem.

I just want to make sure this is true before I go out and buy one. Also, I'd like to know if I'll see a significant performance increase between the 8800GTX and the GTX 285 or GTX 480.

Thanks again!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dell Studio Xps Graphics