Solved

A couple quick rookie questions while currently building a system.

These are some rookie questions, but it's been a long while since I've done this stuff so I'm rusty and when I've spent this much money on parts I want to be 100% sure before turning it on. I'd link the manual but there does not seem to be a English one online.

Case has a HD Audio and a Legacy 97 extension plug for the front panel. And the MOBO (Sabertooth Z77) can support either. I want the HD Audio one yeah?

Also I'm stuck on a old 8800GT for about a month until I can afford a new video card. I want to put it on the PCIE 2.0 x16 slot not one of the 2 PCIE 3.0 x16 slots yeah? Will the PCIE 3.0 x16 kill the GPU or the MOBO cause the 2.0 slots got horrible ventilation?

There's 3 USB ports on the mobo, in the manual labeled USB910, USBB78, USB56. Would there be any difference between them? Manual says they all USB2 but not why they are labeled differently?

There's a 20 pin USB3 connector on the mobo. Can I get some sort of adapter or something to plug in a normal USB3 cable to it? As the plug on the front panel is a normal plug and I don't wanna waste a back panel slot if I don't need to.

Would you recommend plugging fans directly into the mobo or get adapters for the PSU sata plugs?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about couple quick rookie questions building system
  1. Best answer
    1. yes use hd audio, '97 is a bit dated and some cases are already transitioning to not use them

2. use the 3.0 slot. no real difference, its compatable with all pci versions

3. if the case didnt have a convertor, then there usually are converters you can buy

4. ideally the best choice is Fan controllers, followed by mobo then psu. fan controllers control all speed(albeit buying them is seperate) for mobos, 4 pin fans are controlable, psu is automaticly controlled and should only be used when above 2 options are not present/full
  2. Funkosapien said:
    These are some rookie questions, but it's been a long while since I've done this stuff so I'm rusty and when I've spent this much money on parts I want to be 100% sure before turning it on. I'd link the manual but there does not seem to be a English one online.

Case has a HD Audio and a Legacy 97 extension plug for the front panel. And the MOBO (Sabertooth Z77) can support either. I want the HD Audio one yeah?
    Then plug in the HD Audio connector into the audio port. This really only matters for front panel audio. It won't affect any sound devices you plug in directly to the motherboard via rear I/O.

Quote:
    Also I'm stuck on a old 8800GT for about a month until I can afford a new video card. I want to put it on the PCIE 2.0 x16 slot not one of the 2 PCIE 3.0 x16 slots yeah? Will the PCIE 3.0 x16 kill the GPU or the MOBO cause the 2.0 slots got horrible ventilation?
    Physically, PCI-e 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0 are exactly the same, with the latter being backwards compatiable with the former (ie PCI-e 2 will work on 1, and 3 will work on 2, etc.). The only thing this would effect is the maximum bandwidth available. So if you plug in a PCI-e 3 card into a PCI-e 2 slot, you will be limited to PCI-e 2 bandwidth, but the card would work nonetheless.

Quote:
    There's 3 USB ports on the mobo, in the manual labeled USB910, USBB78, USB56. Would there be any difference between them? Manual says they all USB2 but not why they are labeled differently?
    Are these internal connectors? I think the different labels are to identify the ports individually. I don't think there are any practical differences.

Quote:
    There's a 20 pin USB3 connector on the mobo. Can I get some sort of adapter or something to plug in a normal USB3 cable to it? As the plug on the front panel is a normal plug and I don't wanna waste a back panel slot if I don't need to.
    Then get front panel USB 3 bracket. Modern cases come with front-panel USB 3 support, and that is what you'd typically use the internal 20pin connector for. However, you can still get front-panel USB 3 in the form of 3.5" or 5.25" drive bay expansions. Here is one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186176

Quote:
    Would you recommend plugging fans directly into the mobo or get adapters for the PSU sata plugs?
    Typically, fans use 3-4pin fan headers or a 4pin Molex connector. Fans running off a direct power source (like 4-pin Molex, or SATA) can not be controlled, and will run at 1 speed. If the fan supports PWM, running the fan through the fan headers on the motherboard would allow to control fan speed via software. I'd recommend going using the fan headers on the motherboard.
  3. Hang on a minute. The front panel USB2 cable has only got 4 pin slots. with space for 1 more. Do I still want that one?

I hope your right with the PCIE 3.0 backwards compatibility thing. I reckon that's something I'll double check on the asus forums. At least if it kills them I can show them a screenshot of one of their tech support guys saying it's plausible. Would leave me in a lot better standing with a warranty claim or whatnot.

And righto I'll plug it in on the mobo. Had em plugged in on the PSU on my last build.
  4. "Then get front panel USB 3 bracket. Modern cases come with front-panel USB 3 support, and that is what you'd typically use the internal 20pin connector for. However, you can still get front-panel USB 3 in the form of 3.5" or 5.25" drive bay expansions"

Yeah it does have front panel USB3 but it's a conventional USB plug. Not a 20pin plug. I suppose gotta plug it into the back yeah?
  5. Funkosapien said:
    Hang on a minute. The front panel USB2 cable has only got 4 pin slots. with space for 1 more. Do I still want that one?
    Yes. That spacer prevents you from plugging in a USB cable into say an audio port. The internal connectors look very similar. USB2 only uses 9 pins.

Quote:
    I hope your right with the PCIE 3.0 backwards compatibility thing. I reckon that's something I'll double check on the asus forums. At least if it kills them I can show them a screenshot of one of their tech support guys saying it's plausible. Would leave me in a lot better standing with a warranty claim or whatnot.
    It's a standard. It can't call itself PCI-e 3 without being backwards compatible.

Funkosapien said:
    Then get front panel USB 3 bracket. Modern cases come with front-panel USB 3 support, and that is what you'd typically use the internal 20pin connector for. However, you can still get front-panel USB 3 in the form of 3.5" or 5.25" drive bay expansions.

Yeah it does have front panel USB3 but it's a conventional USB plug. Not a 20pin plug. I suppose gotta plug it into the back yeah?
    So it's a pass-through? That's pretty lame. If so, then yes, you have the plug the front-panel USB 3 into a USB 3 port in the back. There is also the USB 3 drive bay expansions as well.
  6. 9 pins? Then why's it only got 4?
  7. To clarify. The mobo sockets got 9 pins. But the plugs got 4?
  8. Funkosapien said:
    9 pins? Then why's it only got 4?

It should be 5 on top and 4 on bottom (or vice verse, can't remember which exactly.)

A USB connector uses 9 pins total. The only 4 pin connectors I can think of are Molex power, and fan headers (which are usually 3 pin anyway).
  9. Noticed it says USB power on side of the cable. Then where the fark do I get the data bit from? Dafuq?
  10. Funkosapien said:
    Noticed it says USB power on side of the cable. Then where the fark do I get the data bit from? Dafuq?

This is what a USB header looks like:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=2186
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Installing-Frontal-USB-Ports/90
    9 pins.
  11. I know what it looks like. I've seen them before. But why the fark does it have 4 pins?
  12. Funkosapien said:
    I know what it looks like. I've seen them before. But why the fark does it have 4 pins?

Not USB? What case do you have?
  13. Actually know what. Smeg it. I'm gonna take it back into the shop I got it from. Get them to tell me where the smeg it's meant to plug into. Cause there's not a socket that is that exact size and type.
  14. Best answer selected by Funkosapien.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product