Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Power Supplies
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2011 8:01:03 PM

I am trying to figure out how much wattage I need to run SLI with 2 Nvidia Stock 560 TI's. The Nvidia website doesnt have 560 ti on the list for power supply reccomendations.

After doing some research 750 seems to be enough but will I be getting close to the cap. Should I spring for 850w?

Anyone have this setup and recommend a power supply. Right now I am thinking of this one b/c I can easily pick it up from bestbuy and I have rewardzone credits.

newegg reviews are tough to figure out....alot of it works fine along with a small amount of DOA.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermaltake+-+850-Watt+TR2+...

More about : sli 560 power supply wattage

a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
June 20, 2011 8:17:40 PM

750W will be enough. I'd recommend a Corsair TX, HX, or AX750.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 94 ) Power supply
June 20, 2011 8:25:18 PM

The GTX560ti has a TDP of 170W. Two in SLI will use twice that, so for easy math lets say 350W. Toss in a 95W quad core CPU and another 50W for board and drives, and you'll need a total of 500W(ish) on the 12V rail. A PSU that can do 42A will just clear this mark, get one that can do 45A for any headroom you want. Also remember that you'll need four 6pin PCIe plugs.
m
l
June 21, 2011 12:10:44 AM

jms493 said:
Thank you guys. Well now I am thinking that my current one will power these. What do you guys think?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks like will need to use the molex to 6 pin adapters because I will need four 6 pin PCIe

I think you are cutting it close with that PSU. It is not only the rating but the quality as well. If I am not mistaken, few PSU's actually put out over 80 percent constantly.

I am using an Antec 650W New PS with a single 560Ti and I will be thinking of getting something beefier if I go SLI.

Rgds
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 12:14:20 AM

jms493 said:
Thank you guys. Well now I am thinking that my current one will power these. What do you guys think?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks like will need to use the molex to 6 pin adapters because I will need four 6 pin PCIe

That will work fine.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 12:20:56 AM

ejm13 said:
I think you are cutting it close with that PSU. It is not only the rating but the quality as well. If I am not mistaken, few PSU's actually put out over 80 percent constantly.

I am using an Antec 650W New PS with a single 560Ti and I will be thinking of getting something beefier if I go SLI.

Rgds

Really is cutting it close but should work. The system in my signature rarely reaches above 650W while gaming with GPUs at full load. The 560s require a bit less power. Definitely will be operating near peak under heavy load.
m
l
June 21, 2011 12:33:52 AM

thanks guys.....right now the heaviest gaming I am doing is playing The Witcher 2. Sounds like I should invest in a better PSU.

I think I am going the test the benefit of SLI with the current PSU. If I see a significant improvement in performance under maxed out settings then I will invest in a better one.

Great Forum!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 94 ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 3:13:41 AM

While Rosewill is usually junk, if I remember correctly the green series is ok. You have enough power but you are correct that you lack the plugs. One plug maybe, but having to use two should cause you concern. The manufacturer didn't intend for four to be used for a reason.

Run it if you want, but I'd find a different one.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 3:20:39 AM

stay away from thermaltake tr2 RX series, all reviewers give them poor reviews, going out of spec at 80% load and generall shoddyness.
m
l
June 21, 2011 4:46:08 AM

Well I think i was going cheap on my system. I decided to go with the Corsair Professional Series HX750 80 Plus Silver Certified.

It doesnt make sense to put all my new components at risk on the cheap PSU that came with the bundle I bought from newegg. I can use this one as a back up or see if I can get some money back via ebay. Thanks for the help guys. I will install it along with a 2nd 560 ti and an upgraded cpu cooler.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 9:38:07 AM

Good Choice!
m
l
June 23, 2011 2:19:28 PM

Installed the power supply and both 560ti cards, nice supply but hard to hide the cables for the graphics cards. Fired up the Witcher 2 with same settings and found about a 15-20 bump on FPS. I was able to turn on SSOA and make the line of distance to "far" and maintain over 60 fps.

I am not sure SLI worth the jump so much in my case. I can return the card I bought to newegg and get $200 back. Not sure what to do....it is nice to know that I can probably run any game for a while now but......
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2011 2:36:20 PM

The difference in performance depends on the title. There could also be a CPU bottleneck.

What CPU do you have?
m
l
June 23, 2011 2:42:32 PM

CPU - i5 2500K
RAM - 8 GB 1600 Ram
MB - Gigabyte Z68
Graphics - 2X Nvidia 560ti
Boot Drive - corsair 120 SSD
Data Drive - 1TB Barracuda
PSU - Corsair HX750

I am not sure the Witcher 2 is optimized for SLI yet through drivers.....I can't find any info. There seems to be a fix but it is manual and custom.
m
l
!