IPW

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hey Folks,

I recently replaced my 7600 GT with a HD 3870 expecting to see a major improvement in frame rates while I indulge my passion of flying MS FSX. Sadly that did not happen. Instead the new card, while performing well in Performance Test in 2D, was simply hopeless in 3D. It showed a frame rate of 11fps there (half my 7600 GT rates) and that was repeated in FSX. The Card temperature barely moved from the idle level of mid 40s.

I asked for advice on his Forum and the consensus was that my 350W PSU was not good enough and that was the cause of the problem.

Today I installed a new Corsair CX600, with 40A on the 12v rail and, while the rest of my set-up is clearly benefiting, there is no difference at all in how the Card performs on that benchmark test or with FSX.

As you can imagine, I am now in serious need of some help and any ideas would be welcome.

Thank you.

IPW

Intel Core 2 Q8200
500GB WD 7200 Hard Disc
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI SAPPHIRE HD 3870
Windows XP

IPW

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks. Understand. But it is a much better card than the old 7600GT.

Also, it still does not explain why it performs so badly on the benchmark Performance Test.

It is as if it does not kick in on complex 3D. Perhaps if I tried to run it with an original driver??