Just finished my new build, wont work

wakestud02

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hello everyone. I just finished building my first pc. After fEinally putting everything together i get no video. I've tried my lcd computer monitor using a standard cable and my tv using hdmi. I have also tried running hdmi directly out of the graphics card. System is as follows:

Sapphire HD 6870
As rock 890gx
Asus 24x dvdr
500gb hard drive
kingston LE 2x4gb memory
AMD 1090T
700 watt power supply

The motherboard powers up and all fans including GC are spinning. In the bottom right hand corner a small display shows a series of numbers then CF, and all the red lights on the motherboard go off. The fan on the heat sink continues to spin and the cpcpu maintains power. I only get one short beep, nothing else. i have tried removing the GC, removing memory, i made sure to put the spacers in the case, secured the heat sink properly, and ive still got nothing. Any help would be appreciated, though if you could dummy it down that would be great, as i'm not quite a techie and i'm learning the ropes.. Thanks

What does your motherboard owners manual say about the CF error code? There should be a list of the codes in the back of the manual.

The troubleshooting checklist in my signature was created to troubleshoot this type of problem. Perform EVERY step in the checklist and let us know how it goes.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Sounds like the onboard video is still enabled in the BIOS.

Leave your graphics card plugged in, but plug any video cables into the onboard video ports rather than into the graphics card port. If your still getting black screens its more than likely your cables/monitor that isnt working properly, not the computer components.

If you do get video, then enter the BIOS and enable your graphics card and disable the onboard.

wakestud02

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
The cf error code is not listed in the manual, there is a 0xCF which simply says OEM BDS initialization. My monitors work fine, I am using one to watch tv and one to discuss the issues with you, so that's not the problem. I have a hard time thinking it's the cables, bc again, i am using both monitors without issue, and i have tried plugging the cables into the onboard port.

wakestud02

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
The cf error code is not listed in the manual, there is a 0xCF which simply says OEM BDS initialization. My monitors work fine, I am using one to watch tv and one to discuss the issues with you, so that's not the problem. I have a hard time thinking it's the cables, bc again, i am using both monitors without issue, and i have tried plugging the cables into the onboard port.

Did you make sure and connect all the power cables, both to the motherboard and the video card? There is either a 4 - 8 pin connector on the motherboard that needs to be connected to power. Then there is the power connectors on the video card.

wakestud02

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
i have taken out the ram, tried one stick, tried the different slots, all with no avail. i have a 4 + 4 connected into the motherboard, as well as the 20 + 4. I also have a 6 + 6 connected to the graphics card.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
What motherboard are you using? Does it have any onboard video ports you can try? Even if its only VGA.

It could be something as stupid as the refresh rate is set too high and its just leaving you a blank screen or something. Does the monitor power light flick on at all? Or does the monitor stay in standby when you boot the PC?

wakestud02

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
it's an 890gx pro by as rock, it does have on board video ports, and i have tried those, both in vga and hdmi with two different cables in each. nothing flickers, i simply get a black screen on botch the lcd monitor and the 1080p plasma.