Sign in with
Your question

Micro-stutter Wishful Thinking???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2011 9:17:20 PM

Hi all,

I understand the phenomena referred to as micro-stuttering. What I don't understand is why I see so many threads saying something similar to, "Micro-stuttering was a bigger problem on older SLI configurations, but I have 2 GTX 580s in SLI and haven't had any issues so definitely go buy high end SLI configurations because you won't have a problem."

I see this comment over and over as a response on threads where someone is asking if they'll have a micro-stutter issue with the latest GPUs in SLI. My first thought is, "well duh you don't see any issues; what game today is going to deliver a frame count lower than your refresh rate with dual 580s" (other than perhaps Metro 2033)? Of course you're not going to see any signs of micro-stutter playing BC2 or Black Ops at 100+ fps.

Is this just an example of "buyer justification" for the $1k+ spent on graphics cards? Are these people just naive? Misinformed? Or is there some legitimate science / data that explains why micro-stutter has been significantly improved in this recent generation of GPUs that I'm not aware of?

Your thoughts?
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 9:22:23 PM

Don't really know enough about micro stutter, but my guess is that its caused by a dely from the CPU feeding the GPU's information.

I have noticed that Micro-stutter is reduced for me if I run at 120Hz rather that 60 (even in games that reach 120FPS)

I to would like some more info on this :) 
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 9:34:24 PM

Micro-stuttering isn't a common problem these days. When it does happen, it's usually due to a game that specifically has problems with SLI or crossfire. It may also be that there is some sort of hardware confliction at times. I've seen people get it when their RAM was going bad too.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 9:44:43 PM

Another thing that can cause the Micro-stutter you mention is a slow HDD that can not feed the game info fast enough to keep things moving so the game pauses for a few microseconds waiting for the info --- which is another reason why it is lessened these days as HDDs have gotten faster and have larger caches nowadays (also this is one reason I think you get more laptop users complaining about it than desktop users due to the HDDs being more designed for lower power consumption to save battery life !)
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 9:46:28 PM

JDFan said:
Another thing that can cause the Micro-stutter you mention is a slow HDD that can not feed the game info fast enough to keep things moving so the game pauses for a few microseconds waiting for the info --- which is another reason why it is lessened these days as HDDs have gotten faster and have larger caches nowadays (also this is one reason I think you get more laptop users complaining about it than desktop users due to the HDDs being more designed for lower power consumption to save battery life !)

This definitely happens, but I never considered the occasional stutter like that, "micro-stuttering". I always thought micro-stuttering was a constant jittering that never stopped. Of course a lot of people consider both.
m
l
June 25, 2011 9:46:08 AM

There are a few different types of microstutter but the most controversial one is the uneven output of frames. What causes this? bad RAM? CPU? PSU? drivers maybe? I really don't know. AMD,Nvidia acknowledges microstutter but they're not really bothered about it because people either refuse to believe or ignore it and only care about maximum FPS. Basically when you get the "real" microstutter your eyes will be seeing 40 fps instead of the 80fps that your computer is displaying. Some people notice it some people don't but once you see it.. it cannot be unseen.

m
l
!