Computer won't boot, all mobo status LEDs flashing

dcsmith3

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
My computer was working fine just earlier today. I usually shut it off when I'm done with it because it doesn't take long to boot up. Anyway, when I went to turn it back on, all my status LEDs on the motherboard just flash on and off, CPU, ram, VGA, HDD, all of them. I'm not sure what to do. I filed a tech support request with Asus, the motherboard maker, but thought I'd ask here too, just in case. Here's what I'm running, in case it matters:

x58 Sabertooth Mobo
Intel i7 960 3.2 ghz
GeForce GTX 570 HD
Corsair Vengeance 8GB SDRAM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Corsair H50 Cooling unit (I only mention this because I flipped a fan around on the case to accommodate the radiator. I did some research and thought it would be OK, but my inexperience makes me paranoid about heat in there.)

The computer has performed great up until now, as far as I knew. Thanks in advance.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
try removing all your ram - tell me if you get a series of beeps.. if you do - add one stick a time until the problem reoccurs..

If the problem still happens with all the RAM removed, start pull expansions cards, starting with PCI slots, working you way to the graphics card.

dcsmith3

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
I don't hear any beeps, but it does do something different. It stays on, sort of. The VGA and HDD LEDs aren't flashing anymore but the CPU and RAMs ones stay lit. Obviously, nothing actually appears on screen. Should I still try replacing sticks until it happens again?

dcsmith3

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
I tried replacing them. Having one in got me to the same position I mentioned in my second post. adding the second put me back at square 1. It looks like there's a issue with the ram. But, shouldn't I get something on screen with one stick of ram? perhaps there is another problem?

dcsmith3

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Ok, I've done it. It's strange, I honestly cannot seem to reproduce the same problem now. I put both sticks back (in different orders, if it matters) and the new result is always the same. The CPU and RAM LEDs are on, constantly, and the case fans stay on. Still, nothing on screen, and all the while, no beeping.

dcsmith3

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
it's working. Not sure what was wrong but I reconnected the 20 pin power cable, cleared the CMOS and that seems to have done the job. If anybody happens to know what might have gone wrong, I'd still appreciate hearing, so it doesn't happen again.